Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Early Spring In The Garden Nook

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Are you having a "true spring" where you live?
I'm not even sure what that means anymore.

All I know is that one day I'm wearing flip flops and a t-shirt;
the next, I'm in boots and a down jacket.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Yesterday, it was sunny and in the 60's - nice enough to have an outdoor lunch 
at the Bryant Park Cafe in New York City.
We lucked out and finished seconds before that crazy thunderstorm blew in.
Good thing I was able to take shelter in Lord and Taylor's
(for three hours, heh heh)!
This afternoon, it's only 48 degrees as I write this.
I guess that's pretty typical of spring around these parts.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes
On Sunday, I went to Home Depot... oh, wait...
did I ever tell you that when Junior Goo Shoes was two or three, 
he called it "Humpty Po?"
Get it?
Home Depot.
Humpty Po.
In his frame of reference, with nursery rhymes like Humpty Dumpty 
dominating his brain waves, it made total sense.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes
Yes, so, back to the weather.
It was in the low 60's, and sunny, 
and I was surprised to see so many people buying summer annuals.
I always wait until Memorial Day to buy mine, 
because the temperatures can still be pretty cold at night
and I think those plants have a good chance of dropping dead 
if you plant them too early.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes 

I allowed myself to buy one flat of pansies, and a few daffodils.
I want a little spring color on the front porch,
but once it gets too hot, the pansies croak, 
so I don't like to buy too many.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes
 I piled everything up around the bench in my garden nook,
and was struck by how pretty it looked.
A still life just waiting to be photographed!
OK, I did tweak things just a tad :)
Oh, alright. A huge tad.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes

We planted the forsythia last year, and although it's still sparse, 
it makes a pretty frame around my red garden bench.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes

I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance 
to put the pansies and daffies into a flower pot yet. 
Four days later, they're still sitting in the nook.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes

Yesterday, when that storm came,
the wicked winds of the west knocked them all askew...
"Heh heh heh...I'll get you, my little pretties!"
Fortunately, they survived, and hopefully I'll get off my caboose, 
and plant them today.
That is, if I can tear myself away from the computer.
I've been frantically researching a summer vacation,
avoiding everything that I really should be doing, 
like food shopping, filling out mandatory camp forms, 
and lining up SAT tutors for next fall.
Priorities, right?

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes

 Truth be told, I've been a little nervous going out into the backyard lately.
There have been news reports of coyote sightings in neighboring towns.
And get this...
Wile E.'s cousin was spotted on the upper west side of Manhattan yesterday!
COYOTES IN MANHATTAN???
Talk about spring weirdness!
It's not like it was buying whitefish salad at Zabar's, or anything, 
but it was hanging around in Riverside Park. 
And to think I moved out of Manhattan because of rats and cockroaches.
Sheesh.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes
Anyway, I'll put on my big girl panties and fetch those flowers,
so that they get planted before any other strange forces of nature 
get in between me and my flowers.

Spring Garden Nook: A colorful bench, clay pots, a few decorative items, and spring flowers create a pretty nook in the backyard | Ms Toody Goo Shoes

How is spring going in your "nook" of the woods?


22 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, the flowers look so pretty and have fun planting everything. Yes the weather is crazy around here and very scary with the coyotes roaming around the city. I can't wait until it stays warmer each day. We can only hope it will be that way for May! Enjoy the rest of the today and the weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy we are done with the animal thing. I had enough of the bear. We had three a week.

    I didn't see any viola at the garden center yesterday. We were ordering boxwood to get delivered. I'm like the tiny viola more than pansies

    We plant annuals around Mother's day here. This year who knows. It's so cold as you mentioned.

    Yesterday the weather was bizarre

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers do look lovely.

    Here in the UK we have had some glorious Spring days ... but my dear mother used to say' don't cast a clout til May is out' - she could be right late April and May does sometimes still bring cooler showers but hopefully no more snow - even our weather couldn't do that could it?

    Have a good weekend .... well it will soon be here!

    All the best Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers do look lovely.

    Here in the UK we have had some glorious Spring days ... but my dear mother used to say' don't cast a clout til May is out' - she could be right late April and May does sometimes still bring cooler showers but hopefully no more snow - even our weather couldn't do that could it?

    Have a good weekend .... well it will soon be here!

    All the best Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I've missed Lord & Taylor while living in California! But I move back to Chicago in a week so I will be back in the fold! It will take lots of self control but I will also wait until after Memorial Day to do most of my planting. Love your forsythia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden nook is so very pretty! Love it! I am so happy that it is spring somewhere. That is crazy about the coyotes! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty photos, Amy! I'm shocked about the coyotes. I had deer in my backyard today, so now I have to think of a way to keep them out so I can plant my veggies.... sigh.

    I need a Forsythia in my life again :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Amy - your Garden Nook pictures are SO pretty!!! You do sound very busy these days - must be spring fever? I know what it's like - even though I should have lots of time these days, they just seem to zip by so quickly. Right now it's super cold again, there's snow on the ground since last evening and the temp. has dropped to 0C tonight - ugh! Spring will come - I'm just hoping it's soon. Be careful of the coyotes - eek!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would NEVER like to get between you and flowers!

    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ho dee do. Humpty po. Coyotes?! Whoa.
    And Summer vacation planning YASSSSS (I wasted far too much time online the other day doing that)!!!!
    Love your sweet little garden nook and your pics.
    If that lobster pillow is missing I am blaming Wile E. , btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Amy, beautiful spring, and this bench ... ah:-)
    For me, a spring in full. I watched a couple of storks in the morning, he stroked her feathers beak, it was really romantic scene:-)
    And tomorrow I get down to work in the garden.
    I greet warmly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same weather here! Flip-flops yesterday and boots today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, looks like you are going to have a very pretty spring vignette-- pansies and anything yellow go so well together! Watch out for your dog Sadie with a coyote around-- coyotes will go after small pets (although they don't typically attack people).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never a dull moment in your corner! Everything looks spring-happy, no matter the weather crazies.
    I hope your spring plantings run smoothly and you manage to book a first class summer vacation in good time.
    Cheers,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your look of spring and the garden nook is perfect!! Hugs from the Bay of Bengal, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheap Adidas Superstar 2 Did not go to school yet. Consciously http://www.lismore-nsw.com.au Cheap Adidas Superstar 2 queuing know anything. your Adidas Originals australia online cheap, Cheap Adidas Superstar 2 cheap does not Cheap Adidas Superstar 2 know is secretly cursed himself, and asked that he is the person you are right. so did the adults a little qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well our Spring is the exact same Amy - unbelievably frustrating because every time you think " this is it " wham - it gets freezing again !
    What a beautiful garden bench ( I just painted 2 plain benches red for the garden )
    My Son used to call Kentucky Fried Chicken - HUCKY TUCKY - I have friends who still call it that to this day lol !!! You mentioned Bryant Park and I got a little pang...............many afternoons spent there with a book ! Then you mentioned coyotes and it quickly dissipated LOL
    Have a wonderful ( and hopefully warm ) week ahead!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spring is going pretty good for us here on the Alabama gulf coast...just having more rain than I like. Our spring starts in March and summer hits us in late May. When July comes around a lot of my flowers start to look a tad bit sad :( I would love to have you join in at my Show and Share Party..hope to see ya there!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. What gorgeous photos! I so wish I had an outdoor space, maybe in my next apartment. I used to work right across from that Lord & Taylor ... major danger! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so good. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7, we can’t wait to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  21. That little garden nook can certainly make anyone smile!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.