Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Niagara Falls: Road Trip Part 2

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Have you ever been to Niagara Falls?

It's a place I've always wanted to go to, but it just never happened...until this summer. While not terribly far, it is a 7-hour car ride, so we kept putting it off. 

But when we were invited to visit friends in Lake Erie this summer, it provided the perfect excuse to finally see one of the seven natural wonders of North America. We decided to make it the second stop of our summer road tripFrom Erie, PA,  Niagara Falls was just a short 2 1/2 hour drive.

Niagara Falls is actually three separate falls: American Falls (below)... Bridal Veil Falls (the smaller one, far right, below)...

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes



...and Horseshoe Falls (the curved one, below). 
 
Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


We had a choice a staying on the New York side, or the Canadian side. We opted for the latter, because everyone told us that was definitely the prettier view...they were right!

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Plus, I  wanted to use my Starwood Hotel points for our stay, and the Sheraton Hotel on the Canadian side is located right at the Falls.

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


The rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows, with a door that opens, but obviously, you don't want to go out!


Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


 Afraid of heights? Don't look down!

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Check out the magnificent view! I took this through our open door. 

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Although we could have just admired the view from the room, we did want to get up close and personal, so we walked along the promenade. Pretty fabulous, eh? (I'm practicing my Canadian...how am I doing, eh?) 

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Our stay was only two nights, which gave us a day and a half to explore. 

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Our favorite attraction was the "Maid of the Mist" boat ride. It was a spectacular experience, getting really close to the Falls. 



Here's a 32-second video taken from the boat before we left the dock.  At the end, there's a few seconds, from just over the top of Horseshoe Falls, which is an amazing vantage point. 


 
If you do decide to go to Niagara Falls, I've got three pieces of advice for Maid of the Mist:

1) Wear water-proof shoes. Your feet will be soaked, and it is no fun spending all day in squishy shoes. You will get a lovely blue rain poncho to keep your clothes dry, but they're not gonna help your feet!

2) When the boat gets right up in front of the Horseshoe Falls, DO NOT keep your head down because you are getting sprayed drenched. LIFT YOUR HEAD UP AND LOOK! If not, you will miss one of the most magnificent sights you'll ever see.  Even though you will get face full of water (or "a water full of face" as Mr. Goo Shoes once said, and now we cannot ever let him live it down), it will be worth it!

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


3) Do not say to the person next to you, "Oh, how clever of you to bring a ziploc bag for your camera," because then she will give you one, and you will feel obligated to use it...and if you are anything like me, you will not close it properly, and your camera will get soaked and stop working. Then you will have to rely on the other people with you to take pictures good enough to be blog worthy, and they will become very irritated about having to take 36 shots of the same thing. And then, you will get a new camera for your birthday that very next week, which is great, because you'll need it, but bad, because you really wanted new earrings. 

In other words, keep your camera in your purse or pocket under the poncho. It might be a good idea to buy a disposable waterproof camera just for this. 

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Another attraction we went to was Journey Behind the Falls, but we found it kind of disappointing.  Basically, you just look through a portal and see the water crashing down. The cool part was at the end when we went outside on the viewing platform right next to the falls.  Oh, you do get another lovely pancho, this time a yellow one. 

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes



This is the view from Journey's observation deck. It was worth the price of admission.

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Niagara's Fury is a very short 4D movie about how the Falls were created The floor rocks, the temperature drops...its snows, you get sprayed with mist...and yes, you get to wear another one of those pretty ponchos.  We enjoyed it, even though it was less than 10 minutes.

When we took a break from looking at the Falls, we headed over to Clifton Hill Street -- aka as "The Street of Fun at the Falls." It wasn't my idea of fun, but...it did amuse Junior Goo Shoes.

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


He had a great time at the giant arcade. 

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


If you've been to one Ripley's Believe It Or Not, you've been to them all. But we did get a kick out of this tongue twister. Go ahead...try it!

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


We indulged in a nice dinner at the restaurant in the Sheraton, Windows By Jamie Kennedy, which claims to be one of Niagara's best. It was quite good...and of course, everything tastes better when gazing at that glorious view of the Falls. 

We all agreed that seeing Niagara Falls in person fully met our expectations. One of my favorite views was just outside of the Table Rock complex. It felt like we were standing right on top of the Falls.  


Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


It was great to see the Falls at different times of the day, and how the light changed their appearance. They are most impressive at sunset, in my opinion.


Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Oh, and yes, the falls are lit up with colored lighting at night, but because I broke my camera earlier in the day, this was the best that I could do with a night shot with Mr. Goo Shoes' camera, which I obviously do not know how to use. You get the idea, eh?


Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


As if right on cue, a rainbow appeared when we were standing on the promenade, just before we were heading home.

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


 All in all, visiting Niagara Falls was a great way to end the summer...

...except for the drive home, which took way longer than our GPS said. Road trips are only fun on the way to vacation. The drive home? Not so much.


Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


OK, it is the end of October, and I think I am now done with my summer vacation posts. Summer seems sooooo long ago.

Niagara Falls - A Road Trip    by Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


 It's time to get back to pumpkins and Halloween, don't you think? 

Till next time...


Ms. Toody Goo Shoes







Linking with:
Our World Tuesday
Travel Photo Mondays 
Wow Us Wednesdays 
Home and Garden Thursday
Time To Sparkle 
Pincentive Blog Hop 
Fabulously Creative Friday 
Get Inspired 
Home Sweet Home
Simple and Sweet Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Be Inspired 
Tickled Pink Times Two 
Oh The Places I've Been
Weekend Bloggy Reading 
Best of the Weekend 

28 comments:

  1. That post brought back so many memories. I went to Niagara Falls when I spent a summer studying in Canada. I believe I still have he blue poncho somewhere. I thought it was maginficent. I adore your pictures taken at different times of the day since I didn't get to spend the night there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I brought you back to a happy time, Magali. It is magnificent, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a ball-even if you did wreck your camera! I lived not too far from Niagara Falls when I was young. I love it and have taken 2 of my kids there as adults and my hubby another time. It is amazing and awesome to believe there is ALL that water that never stops! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a ball, and I'm so glad that we went (despite the awful ride home!) That's what Mr. Goo Shoes kept saying -- the water never stops -- amazing!

      Delete
  3. Looks like lot's of fun. I went as a kid and remember it being a good time too! BTW - I always stay clear of ladies handing out ziploc bags. I know it won't end well - lol! And to think you were kinda in my neck of the woods (give or take a couple hours)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now savvy to ziploc ladies! I know we drove through the Finger Lakes on the way back...I did think of you!

      Delete
  4. I have never been to Niagra Falls. Your pictures are just breathtaking! You did a great job capturing its beauty. I never knew there was so much around the Falls too. Looks like a great way to spend a family vacation. The colored lights underneath the Falls were beautiful. The boats you took remind me of that movie where Jim Carrey plays God. Forgot the name of it. He's a news anchor and Jennifer Aniston plays his girlfriend. Anyway, that's what I thought of when I saw those boats and everyone wearing ponchos. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce Almighty? Is that the movie? Anyway, we didn't know either, how family friendly Niagara Falls was. I definitely recommend it, but 2 days is more than enough time. If we had time, I would have like to have gone to other parts of Canada.

      Delete
  5. These are just gorgeous! The first photo is stunning. I have to say I also love the one of all of the signs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody! The sign cracked me up, too! But my fave is also the first one.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful series!!! I love Niagra Falls:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I love it, too, now that I've been! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I got that far east once. It was a fantastic experience seeing the power of all that water. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That power is amazing, isn't it? And it just keeps on going...

      Delete
  8. I have never been to Niagara Falls but it definitely on my bucket list

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are magical!! So glad you enjoyed the Canadian side - just saying :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosella! I knew my Canadian friends would appreciate that ;) There's no comparison to the US side.

      Delete
  10. Amy,

    Although I have been to the falls several times in my life, as it is only about and hour and a half drive from Toronto, I never tire of seeing the splashy splendour of this great North American alliance between Canada and the US. Your pictures and review were refreshing, reminding me of their beauty and sheer wonder! Pity you didn't detour a mere 20 minutes from the falls for a chance to visit ''the prettiest town in Ontario'', namely, Niagra-on-the-Lake! Oh well, I guess it gives you a reason to connect with us Canucks, again, eh?!

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping we'd get to Niagara-on-the-Lake, but we didn't have time. Yes, we'll just have to go again!

      Delete
  11. Wow, stunning!! I think I like the horseshoe falls the best! You probably took all the pics you could take - I've never seen so many pics of the Niagara Falls! Also love that you took some of the boats, and laughed about the yellow monks:) Thanks for the advice for the camara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Horseshoe one is definitely the winner! I took hundreds of photos...till my camera broke, that is :(

      Delete
  12. I would love to go there someday, just based on your pictures! They are gorgeous! The waterfalls are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun, Michelle. It's great to add on to another nearby destination, since 1- 2 days is enough for seeing the falls themselves.

      Delete
  13. Wow !!! Its really a nice post with amazing images of Niagara fall. Thanks for sharing
    Explore Niagara App

    ReplyDelete
  14. The falls are incredible. I believe something everyone should see once in their lifetime. You have no idea how powerful the water is until you are right up close. We stayed on the American side at the Niagara Falls Hotel, which appears to have the best view of both falls. There is so much to do in Niagara, you can definitely make a weekend of it at least. If you are only interested in the falls like we were, one day is plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just took our boys this past fall; I had been once or twice myself as a kid and thought they'd really get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My son and I just looked at your pictures. He loves Niagara Falls, but he hasn't been there yet. It was good to show him your picture of both of the Falls together. So Sorry about your camera! But it was funny how you told it, of course.... What gorgeous pictures of the Falls!

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.