Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

I'M IN A "SUNSHINE STATE" OF MIND: DISCOVERING DEERFIELD BEACH





Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

You know that feeling when you just need to get away from the beat of the everyday drum? 

If anyone would have told me that after I stopped working,
I'd still feel, at times, like I badly needed a vacation, I'd have said,  
"Vacation from what?"
I would have bah-hah-hah'd them from here to Florida.
 Work pressures, crazy bosses, deadlines piling up faster than a teenager's laundry...........
that's what warrants a vacation!
Certainly a non-working, blog-writing mom doesn't NEED a vacation. 


Oh, but she did. 

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Even without stress of the corporate variety
I found myself pining for warmer climes, a change of scenery....
and a break from the day-to-day. 
Maybe the fact that I couldn't shake a bronchial virus for weeks earlier in the winter 
had me desperate to feel the sun on my face, and sand between my toes. 
Then again, I don't really need need a reason 
to pack up my travel-size toiletries, and head for somewhere.....anywhere.
Travel is my caffeine, and I crave it constantly

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

And, so when Mr. Goo Shoes decided he wanted to see his cousins in Florida,
we booked a last-minute, long weekend in the Sunshine State.

The only time we could get away was over President's Weekend,
when Junior Goo Shoes had a couple of days off from school.
Unfortunately, it's the most popular (translation: expensive!) week of winter to travel.
As we we didn't book this trip until January,
 I didn't hold much hope for finding a hotel room, 
 let alone one that didn't cost the equivalent of a semester at college.

We were hoping to stay in the Delray Beach area,
as close to the ocean as possible,  
but everywhere I searched, I was met with virtual "No Vacancy" signs.  
When a hotel popped up in Deerfield Beach,
I had to google-map it to see exactly where it was.
Located mid-way between West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale,
and only 15 miles from Delray, it seemed like a good destination.
It was a tad risky, as we knew nothing about the area.
What if Deerfield turned out to be more like Drearfield?

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
  
We needn't have worried.
 Deerfield Beach proved to be a fantastic location!
 
 We stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel......
it wasn't fancy, but was nice enough for the purposes of this trip.
It met several criteria:

Beachfront.
All suites
Pool.
Breakfast Included.

An all-suites hotel was a win-win:
 Junior GS could have his own room, bathroom, and TV,
and we didn't have to deal with his mess.
It was a very spacious room, had a narrow balcony,
and a partial ocean view.

Considering its oceanfront location, and the fact that it was a holiday week,
the rates were quite reasonable.  
The free breakfast buffet was impressive,
and included made-to-order omelets, if you didn't mind waiting.
I minded, so I stuck with oatmeal.   
(Okay, to be honest, I was rationing my calories for alcoholic beverages). 

Junior GS preferred to sleep late, and skip breakfast.
Fortunately, the pool restaurant opened for lunch at 11am,
and he had no problem with buffalo chicken wings being his first meal of the day. 
When he couldn't finish them, I polished them off,
and I must admit, they make a fine mid-morning snack.

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The beach was just across a narrow street from our hotel.

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes  
Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Mr. Goo Shoes and I consider ourselves something of beach connoisseurs, 
and this one was fabulous!

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Junior GS walking down the beach.

The beach is public, so chairs were not supplied by the hotel.
We had to rent them from a third party.
They didn't come cheap ($12 per chair, $12 per umbrella, $15 per cabana),
but at least we were able to charge them to our hotel.
It would have been more economical to purchase inexpensive chairs and umbrellas 
at a local store, and toss (or give) them to someone when we left.
Had we done that, 
it would have guaranteed that we'd have rain for the remainder of the trip.
Better to spend an arm and a leg to keep our limbs from getting sunburned,
  rather than risk jinxing the weather pattern
(which turned out to be perfect, by the way 😎).

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
That's Junior GS, in the lounge chair.


Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

We didn't realize until we arrived, that our hotel was on the quiet end of the strip,
This was totally fine with us, as it was only about a half-mile walk 
 down South Ocean Way to the main hub of Deerfield Beach.

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The small "downtown" area was quite lively.
The restaurants and bars, all within a walk-able distance of each other
were hopping at night.

One of our favorite restaurants was JB's On The Beach.
Unfortunately, we didn't get a table outside on the deck,
but inside was pretty cool, with a giant Hobie Cat hanging from the rafters......
 and the cocktails ......er, I mean, the food -- was great.

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
JB's On The Beach
 
The main attraction in Deerfield Beach is the pier,
right in the center of all the action.

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 The $1 fee to walk on the pier
was cheap entertainment for our last night in town. 

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Junior GS seems to have lost his head.

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
The view from the pier.


It wasn't until we got home that I found out there were three live webcams set up at the pier,
including one in the water where you can watch the sea life swim by.
Cooooooool.

One night, we took a ride 15 miles north to the very happening town of Delray Beach.

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Anyone who is anyone, and everyone who is no one
(meaning, us) was on trendy Atlantic Avenue that night.
With Junior Goo Shoes on a one-teenager quest to find the ultimate burger,
we skipped the fancy restaurants and headed straight to The Office
an upscale gastropub with expensive casual food and craft beer.
Junior GS had to forego the beer, 
but he did proclaim the burger to be one of the best he's ever had. 
I had a tuna steak sandwich, 
which was actually like a giant piece of sashimi on a bun.
Yum!
It's rare that I allow myself an order of french fries,
but when the waitress said I could "upgrade" to truffle fries,
well, friends, all I can say is, I'm only human.

It's hard to a get a good picture at night without people snarling at you,
so this blurry one will have to do.  

Discovering Deerfield Beach | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

After telling the waitress we were too full for dessert,  
we waddled across the street to It's Sugar, a candy store.
If you know anything about me at all, 
it's that I have ZERO self control when it comes to sugary confections.
It does not help matters at all, that Mr. Goo Shoes is as bad as me.
Fortunately, Junior Goo Shoes was there to slap our wrists:
"Mom, Dad, that's ENOUGH candy!"

All Junior GS wanted was some salt-water taffy,
and we all had a good laugh when this is what he found.

Discovering Deerfield Beach | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


All in all, Deerfield Beach was a terrific place to stay.
Next time, I'd LOVE to stay at the swanky boutique hotel -- Royal Blues,
or rent a gorgeous condo right on the beach. 
But, I've got no complaints about this last trip.

Discovering Deerfield Beach, Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

It was just long enough to change my
New York state of mind into a sunshine state of mind.
 
   

Resources:
Deerfield Beach, FL (official site)
Deerfield Beach Live Webcams
Embassy Suites Hotel, Deerfield Beach
JB's On The Beach, Deerfield Beach 
Cafe Med, Deerfield Beach
The Office, Delray Beach 
It's Sugar, Delray Beach 
Royal Blues Hotel, Deerfield Beach
   
LINKING WITH:
Best of the Weekend

 

12 comments:

  1. Hey! Good for you! I totally agree with a change of scenery to lift my spirits. Anywhere... mountains, forests, a lake but...an ocean? Ooh la la! This sounds like a great place. Good move with the hotel. We never spend a lot of time in the hotel anyway but for sleeping. The breakfast deal was awesome. And, everything looked fun from the restaurants to the beach.

    I hope you feel rested. Now you have me wanting to go to the coast (any one!).

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, dahling. Love anything beachy and I'm itching to get to one soon. I'm blessed to live so close to the Gulf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say I am quite envious!! Sounds like you had a fantastic time - and I am MORE than in need of a vacation at this point!! Alas, there is nothing in my immediate future but work, work, work....and more winter. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you found Deerfield Beach! I'll have to ask my daughter if she knows it. Are those rocks piled on the beach? I'm sure that sunshine and salt water will help you get through to spring now. Those cabana type umbrellas look like just the ticket for safely enjoying the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great beach, Amy. I've not yet been this year but it will be hot enough before we know it. A fun trip!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good find - this beach looks and sounds great. Hope the vitamin sea helped with your cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great beach! I've never been there before and I'm a regular Florida beachcomber! I don't usually go that far south though. I've never seen rocks on the beach like that in FL! Glad that the place ended up being a nice vacation for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you took a little vacation. We more than everyone else need a braek from the grueling work that is blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone needs a break every now and then. Lovely shots of the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time I hear about this beach and it is a nice one! Wow, $1 to walk the pier? That is different (here in California you do not have to pay on any of the piers). #OurWorldTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deerfield beach sounds absolutely amazing... and those photos of the beach were so beautiful. What a fantastic find!!

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.