Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spring Break-Away: Our Cruise Ship Departs! ( Part 1)


Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes 
Have you ever been on a cruise?

People seem to have very strong feelings about cruises...
They either love them...
or think they'll hate them.
 
Last week, we went on our second cruise.
The first one, two years ago, was only four nights, 
and on a "small" ship -- 
Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas --
which held about 2,000 passengers. 
We wanted to get a feel for cruising and see if we liked it.
Verdict? We LOVED it!

Yes, even landlubber Mr. Goo Shoes,
a cruise-skeptic of the highest order, enjoyed it.

This time, we went on one of the largest cruise ships in the world -- 
the Norwegian Breakaway.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

If you knew Mr. Goo Shoes and I, you'd understand 
that this is totally out of character for us...
well, at least it was in our "Before Junior Goo Shoes" days.
We always went to the smallest, most remote hotels, 
where seeing as few people as possible was the goal.
But, everything changes when you have kids, doesn't it?

Planning a vacation with 4000+ other passengers 
didn't really float our boat, 
but one thing we realized on our first cruise
 was that the smaller ships did not have 
all the cool things that kids like to do.

Junior Goo Shoes was relentless in persuading us 
to join his friend's family on this cruise. 
He really honed his sales skills on this one. 
We weren't biting.
The ports-of-call didn't really appeal to us,
and we were concerned about how we'd like a ship 
that held half the number of people who live in our town.

As his last desperate attempt,
he showed us the Norwegian Breakaway's promotional video.
I thought, wowza, that looks like a boatload fun! 
Junior Goo Shoes finally heard 
the three magic words he'd been waiting for...
"Go show Dad."

When Mr. Goo Shoes asked how much the cabins cost, 
I knew that for our Spring "Break-away,"
 we'd be cruising like Norwegians!

Aside from the fact that Junior GS would have a friend to hang with 
(Happy Kid = Happy Parents), 
another huge plus for us was that the cruise left from NYC. 
No planes to catch! 

No worrying about liquids in our carry-on bags!
Just a 30-minute ride from home to the ship terminal on 56th Street.


Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

We were so lucky that it was a beautiful, warm day when we left.
I'd had visions of us yelling "bon voyage" in our parkas and earmuffs, 
but it was 70 degrees and sunny.


NYC Skyline from Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Mr. Goo Shoes

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
JJ and Junior Goo Shoes

 Aunt Goo Shoes was spying on us from 
the Jersey side of the Hudson River as we set sail from NYC,
and snapped this awesome photo. 
That's us on the tippy top deck in the front...
I mean, the "Bow."
(I need to get my cruise-speak on). 
Can you see us? LOL! 

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Photo by Aunt Goo Shoes

 It was pretty spectacular leaving from New York...

NYC Skyline from Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


We had a great view of The Intrepid...
(the large gray naval ship in center)

NYC Skyline from Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The Statue Of Liberty waved us off...

Statue of Liberty from Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

and we passed by the southern tip of Manhattan...

NYC Skyline from Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The Freedom Tower rose to the occasion
to give us a proper send-off.

NYC Skyline from Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Photo by Junior Goo Shoes

 Everyone cheered as we sailed 
right under the Verrazano Bridge. 
It looked like we weren't going to fit, 
but we made it without the aqua slide 
scraping the bottom of the bridge.

Verrazano Bridge from Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Ship  --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Once we left NYC behind us,
it was time to explore the ship.

To Be Continued...


 
You May Also Like:





35 comments:

  1. You know how much I love to cruise! Can't wait to hear more about yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Amy, since it's you I'll keep reading your cruise tales, but I have to say I'm still not convinced this is my kind of travel. I wish you a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corinne, for reading. It's funny, we had a great time, and we'd do it again, but if it was just my husband and me, we'd never go on such a huge ship. We'd like to try something much smaller, and maybe a river cruise. But, the things you do for kids!

      Delete
    2. Amy, Thanks again for linking up with Weekend Travel Inspiration!

      Delete
  3. I am not a cruise person, although I could be persuaded for the right kind of trip. We've been on two. One was a family vacation with my husband's family and the other was a sales incentive trip. My husband and I both like to run out in open spaces so the cruise was limiting. And I don't like the limited amount of exploring time at each port. If I could go on a cruise where it docked somewhere for several days and I could explore to my heart's content and could leave the ship to go for my run, I think I'd be very happy! Hope you have a great time...I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it, Michelle. It's funny...a few years ago I was desperate to go on a cruise through Europe, and my husband asked a key question - at the end of the vacation, would I feel like I've been to Europe, or would I feel like I've been on a cruise? He was really right - if they are ports that I really care about, I might have to be dragged back onto the ship! This one didn't have such interesting ports, LOL!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like it was fun. I can't wait to hear more about it. I love your N.Y. pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulouso! WOW I have never been on a cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that is a huge ship - like a small city! Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were hooked on the first day of our first cruise - loved it!
    I look forward to reading more about your holiday. That ship is soooo big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so different from what we usually like to do. I am actually shocked that we loved it!

      Delete
  8. Amazing, taking of with half a city! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oopsie, taking off, of course. :-(

      Delete
    2. It was crazy, Merisi! It was very different from our usual vacations, but lots of fun!

      Delete
  9. It looks cool cruising from NYC. The ship looks huge! All the familiar scenes, I love the statue of Liberty and the city skyline.. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen! It was definitely cool cruising out of NY!

      Delete
  10. Oh my this looks amazing. I have never been on a cruise but I know my husband would really like to and this ship looks very cool

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly! It was so much fun! I highly recommend it. I love your 365 project -- your photos are incredible. I wanted to leave a comment, but I couldn't find the comment section.

      Delete
  11. Nice photos of the NYC shoreline. Cruises have never appealed to me but I'm glad your family enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really fun family vacation. If it was just hubby and me, I'd want a much smaller ship!

      Delete
  12. We love European river cruises but they only hold a few hundred passengers. I know I could never get my husband on a big cruise ship. Looking forward to hearing more about yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing a European river cruise is on my bucket list. I would love that! If it was just my husband and I, we'd never do a ship this big, but I have to say, we did have fun!

      Delete
  13. Just leaving ( or arriving!) from New York must be an experience. Looking forward to see more of your cruise.
    Went only once in the Caribbean, a small boat with an incredible service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty spectacular to see NYC from that vantage point. Big ships are great for family vacations - for just my hubby and I, we'd prefer a much smaller ship, although we did have fun on this one!

      Delete
  14. ❤░W░O░N░D░E░R░F░U░L░❤
    ❤________________________❤
    GOOD Day!
    ✿ܓ✿ ♥ ✿ܓ✿

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your son is a fantastic salesman. I'm sure he had a fabulous time with his friends.
    I never tire of seeing this side of New York -- it really is a beautiful view.
    I run hot and cold about cruising. Hot when I remember the cruise we took years ago to celebrate the milestone anniversary of my sis-in-law's parents. We spent a relaxing week together. The kids had their own activities and never once moaned about being bored.
    I run cold when I think of the damage these behemoths do to the environment, especially to fragile coral reefs and fish that live near coastlines. I could go on, but I think you get the picture and have probably heard it all before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely agree with you, Marcia, about the environmental impact. My husband and I were talking about that while we were on the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad that Junior Goo Shoes managed to twist mom and dad's arm. That's a great picture of you waving from that boat, ha ha. Cruise boats go buy my waterside condo all the time, and I always think about what good times people are having on board. We still have yet to cruise with our kids, but I've enjoyed the cruises that I've taken in the past. For some reason, my hubby keeps telling me that I get seasick on them, but I must be blocking it out because all I remember is the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh so fun! We haven't been on a cruise ship since our honeymoon and while I loved it my husband is reluctant to ever go on another cruise again.. I'm not sure why because he seemed to really like it at the time.

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.