Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Un-Blizzard of 2015 and a Reddish Velvet Hot Mess

 Ms. Toody Goo Shoes You know how you think something's gonna turn out one way,
and it doesn't happen that way at all?

This post was supposed be about a red velvet Valentine's dessert. 
I'm already late, and now, thanks to my usual shenanigans of messing something up,
my Valentine's post will be later still.  
I was baking along, and everything was going beautifully.
I double and triple checked that I added the right amount of everything. 
But I couldn't figure out why the batter wasn't bright red - just red-ish.

I've made this recipe dozens of times, and this was a first.
What the WHAT???

I finally realized that I bought "special dark" cocoa powder by mistake. 
It turned the red batter back to brown.
 
Another fine hot baking mess I got myself into. 


 Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I could have gone out and bought some more, but I just didn't feel like it.
My mindset was that today was a stay-in-the-house kind of day, 
because of the blizzard.

Yeah...about that.
Another thing that didn't turn out as planned. 

The Blizzard Wizards really screwed up this time.

 Ms. Toody Goo Shoes  "CRIPPLING  AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD TO IMPACT THE AREA,"
shouted The National Weather Service. 

"Prepare for something worse than we have ever seen before,"
advised New York City Mayor, Bill De Blasio. 

"60 million people will be devastated by this storm," 
warned Al Roker. 

"Hooray! No School!!!!!,"
cheered Junior Goo Shoes.
 
 Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


All day yesterday, the news was hyping the severity of the storm.
We were supposed to get between 24-36 inches.

All travel was banned into New York City.
Major highways were closed throughout NJ and NY.
School closures were announced 24 hours in advance.
Businesses sent out notices that they would not be opening.

Holy moly. 
This was gonna be the BIG one!
 
 Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


By 1:00am this morning, when only a couple of inches had fallen,
I couldn't help but wonder...is this for real, or is it just a lot of 
50-mile-per-hour hot air from the weather forecasters? 
Could it really snow that much in the next few hours?

Mr. Goo Shoes got up early to start plowing the driveway,
and practically whooped with joy when he saw 
that only another 2 or inches had fallen, for a grand total of about 4 inches. 
Yuppers. That's all, folks.
The only reason it looks like there's a lot of snow 

is because we got six inches on Saturday...more than the day of the "blizzard."

 Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The forecasters weren't totally wrong.
Other areas, like Montauk, NY and the Boston area got pounded.
It's just that they were so definitive about this one for our area,
and they couldn't have been more off-base.

Overall, I'm glad we didn't get all that snow.
It's only fun the first day, anyway.
I guess "Juno" was historic after all...

It will be remembered as the "Un-Blizzard of 2015."

 Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Too much cocoa powder...
Too little snow.

It's always something. 

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. :) Chris got off work early to hunker down in Brooklyn. It is so funny when something is a sure thing but isn't. That happens to us in Texas. When it is for certain it doesn't happen and when it isn't it does. Your yard looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you ... we got 16 inches (although they did predict we'd get over 2 feet).....not that I'm complaining!!! Love the birdfeeder shot.....wow! Heck, send me the goodies....I don't mind dark cocoa. I'd rather have that than snow.
    diane @ thoughts and shots

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been through this with hurricanes. The bright side is I bet your V-Day dessert still tasted amazing and you get to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Amy, I know!! This really was wayyyyy off!! My daughter and I went to the market on Sun. and the parking lot was soooo crowded; I did not realize at this point we were getting a snowstorm and said to her,'"they must really have some good sales this week!".
    Well, I am glad! I was worried after Sandy at what this might be like.
    I think those donuts look terrific and am a bit hungry as I type so they really do look good!
    xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark brown velvet isnt bad too as soon as it tastes yummy :) but yeah so where the original title goes to now? Blizzard panic in the media eh? At least birds have better feeders, they aren't affected much. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a huge red velvet fan. But have you heard that Oreo cookies has come out with a red velvet flavored cookie for Valentines Day this year? It will be a limited edition kind of product. The center is a cream cheese flavored cream instead of vanilla and the cookie is flavored like red velvet. I've been hearing a lot of frustrated people talk about the forcast being so far off on the news. I think the cities are mad because it cost them so much money to shut everything down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The forecasters are probably sticking their heads in the sand right about now (which is easy to get to because hardly any snow is on top). Sounds like the storm veered east a bit.

    Now about that chocolate...I didn't know that about dark chocolate! I would have been scratching my head trying to figure out what went wrong. Well, now you get to make it twice ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had a few baking mistakes also, bet they tasted good anyway
    Glad the storm didn't do hard around your house I guess Nan Tuckett got hit the hardest, Boston also.
    my friends on Long Island said they got 27 inches

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had a few baking mistakes also, bet they tasted good anyway
    Glad the storm didn't do hard around your house I guess Nan Tuckett got hit the hardest, Boston also.
    my friends on Long Island said they got 27 inches

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet your cake tasted great with all that dark chocolate!! We weren't supposed to get any snow but we got a mini blizzard....go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red Velv (my daughter's name for it) is our favorite. I will be right after you, baking one for Valentine's. It is a science project for sure, with all the cocoa powder aspects to consider. If it wasn't for a boatload of red dye I would be baking it more often.

    Re: snow. I grew up in Siberia.People assume I *like* snow and cold. I say, I much prefer Texas right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And what you have sounds like a blizzard to us here in the South. What Nashville is NOT known for is her citizens being able to drive in 1" of snow, or they think they do and go 70 miles an hour and wipe out, which makes for interesting news footage. We got excited here last weekend over a dusting!

    My nephew's groom's cake was red velvet, yes, you guessed it, an armadillo. Steel Magnolias must have recently come out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so frustrating when more is made of a forecast than should be. I mean, have mercy! And do they not think humans are capable of looking out for themselves anymore? Pardon me, but I don't need a mayor or governor or president telling me what is best for me. I don't need a nanny government.

    Sorry for the rant, and sorry about your baking mess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in WNY at the time of this prediction. I was getting texts messages and phone calls of concern. The storm was not going to hit there. I was glad to see it did not turn out as bad as forecasted. Such pretty pictures Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in WNY at the time of this prediction. I was getting texts messages and phone calls of concern. The storm was not going to hit there. I was glad to see it did not turn out as bad as forecasted. Such pretty pictures Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you guys didn't get hammered even though it must be frustrating to have all of that hype and then... nothing.
    And I'll bet the "brown" velvet cake tastes just as good as the red - they maybe just doesn't look so "Valentinsey". This past weekend I made 24 cupcakes and then threw them out and started over after leaving my iPhone (with the oven timer running) inside and completely forgetting about them. Oops. Always something!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful wintery photos!
    And the Valentine´s dessert looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always something, indeed. This may be hard for you to hear - I remember how I scoffed when we first moved here and I heard it............but we have had Heavy Rain Warnings.
    Yes - you read that right. We get warnings about Heavy Rain. Not monsoons or floods, just rain.
    I love the West Coast!

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.