Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bran-ana Carrot Muffins...and My Muffin Top

Bran-ana Carrot Muffins -  healthy ingredients... lots of fiber, carrots, banana and yogurt. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Has anyone other than me packed on a few extra pounds this winter?
Too much time indoors, and too much noshing do not a svelte figure make.
Usually around this time of year, I like to buy a new bathing suit 
to celebrate the fact that summer is coming.
Not this year...nuh-uh...I can't even go near the swimsuit department 
 until I take off about five pounds.
Actually, a better strategy might be to go and try on a few...
which will probably make me cry...or vomit...
but that might be just the kick in the muffin top I need
to jump-start my diet.
Yup, I'm gonna do just that.
I'll bring tissues, a barf-bag, and wear waterproof mascara.
And then I'll go home and eat carrot sticks,
so that by the time summer comes, 
my muffin top will be gone. 

Source

Nobody needs a muffin top.
Well, unless it actually is a muffin top. 

 I've been on a bit of a muffin craze. 
The Carrot-Apple-Coconut Bran muffins I made recently 
and these Bran-ana Carrot muffins 
look more alike than my sister and me, 
but like many siblings, they have their own personalities;
in this case, one is apple-y; the other, banana-y. 


Bran-ana Carrot Muffins -  healthy ingredients... lots of fiber, carrots, banana and yogurt. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

You may be thinking that my muffin-mania could account for my,
 er, expanding midsection, but the truth is,
I only allow myself to eat them on the weekends,
and as muffins go, they're pretty healthy. 

Admittedly, it didn't help that I super-sized them. 

Bran-ana Carrot Muffins -  healthy ingredients... lots of fiber, carrots, banana and yogurt. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes



The recipe is from the bag of Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran Cereal.
I modified it a bit, substituting raisins for dates...

and I left the walnuts out for Mr. Goo Shoes' benefit, 
but frankly, I'd prefer them with the nuts. 

 I made mine in an extra-large muffin tin,
it only made four;
so if you are watching your waistline, 
I suggest you make them in a standard size muffin pan.

Bran-ana Carrot Muffins -  healthy ingredients... lots of fiber, carrots, banana and yogurt. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Bran-ana-Carrot Muffins
(Recipe adapted from Bob's Red Mill) 

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup oat bran cereal (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°
Mix dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, mix liquid ingredients.
Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir until just moistened. 
Fold in carrots, raisins, and walnuts, if using. 
Lightly grease, or line muffin tins with paper cups.
Fill 2/3 full.
Bake for 18-20 minutes (regular-size muffins) or 21-23 minutes for extra-large muffins.

Yield: 12 regular-size muffins or 4 extra large muffins. 

Bran-ana Carrot Muffins -  healthy ingredients... lots of fiber, carrots, banana and yogurt. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


  If you exercise portion control, as well as your abs, 
the only muffin top you'll be sporting is the one on your plate. 
Now, who wants to go bathing-suit shopping with me?



20 comments:

  1. Good grief. "Muffin Top" is like saying "Voldemort" and other things that should not be named.

    I'll come with you shopping. Bring some extra Kleenex (oh, and throw one of these in your purse in a ziploc for me too).
    Pinned. As a reminder... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for making me laugh at this one. I'm in the same boat as you and hate bathing suit shopping! These muffins look so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just don't wear bathing suits anymore. Period. When I was a young, svelte 20-something and lived in my bathing suit I could not fathom why those older folks ( my age now!) weren't wearing one, in the summer, on a hot day! Now I know all to well!! I'll still try these muffins though...in the small size. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the muffin top syndrome! I am working on that - went back to the gym, walking, and making half batches of indulgences - it's so hard! Those muffins look so good! Give me a couple of months and I might be ready to face the mirror in a bathing suit - who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your muffins looks wonderful and I must say there are still a few months before swimming-suit season here, so I'm going to indulge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! You had me laughing so hard with this post! i can relate. I hate to go clothes shopping because I never think I measure up in the mirror. I'm not even huge, but I analzye all my flaws and since I'm no longer a spring chicken, there are many! I would love to go swimsuit shopping with you so we could commiserate together. Much more fun that way. those muffins do look good. and yes, I need to get out and exercise now that the weather is better. It has been a long winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yum! Another thing that I must try, blogging is the cause of most muffin tops I think.
    But that is one good looking muffin!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happier going shopping for 'walking boots' than 'swimsuits' these days .......
    Although walking and swimming are good forms of exercise.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm happier going shopping for 'walking boots' than 'swimsuits' these days .......
    Although walking and swimming are good forms of exercise.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, these look delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your nice comment (and for featuring me on the next Best of the Weekend).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes, this has been a loooooong winter!! and it seems to still be going on. I have enjoyed wearing sweatshirts and leggings and I feel the same way you do Amy. Pehaps, I will skip the swim suit this year....
    I think these muffins sound great, look delious and they sound healthy too. I don't think they have many calories at all. They would be perfect with tea and jam.
    xoxoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this recipe....and I'm not talking about my muffin top - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in the same muffin top boat that you are, Amy! ;) These look super delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look marvelous! Carrot Cake is one of my favorites so I know I'd love these. You sound like my sister who limits sweets until the weekend, so disciplined! I read somewhere that eating a dill pickle when you crave sweets satisfies that craving. I'm here to tell you that it does not work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great! I love the idea of substituting raisins for dates....I don't really dig raisins. And I too, did gain a layer or two this winter...I'm working on it. I'm going to save this for later!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These looks so good! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goodness these look and sound so good ..have to have a go ...I will make some next week as I have to buy some of the ingredients on Friday (shopping day) ..I will let you know how I got on ...You have a lovely blog ...glad I found it ...Happy Days Janet

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.