Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Chicken Teriyaki...and the Inter-Ethnic Food Marriage Debate



Chicken Teriyaki: Super-easy to  make. This has become one of my favorite recipes! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #buzzfeedfood #recipes

Do you believe that foods from different ethnic backgrounds 
can coexist in wedded bliss, within the same recipe?

Depending on your personal tolerance levels,
some mixed food marriages could truly be for better...or for worse.

How about guacamole ravioli? 
Pad Thai nicoise? 
General Tso's sauerbraten? 

I am completely open-minded when it comes to combining ethnic foods in recipes,
as long as the flavors and textures make sense together.


So, when I came across a video for Teriyaki Chicken Tacos,
I was stunned by the heated discussion as to whether or not
Buzz Feed Food was bordering on heresy 
 by uniting a Mexican taco and Japanese teriyaki in holy foodie matrimony

Chicken Teriyaki: Super-easy to  make. This has become one of my favorite recipes! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #buzzfeedfood #recipes

Some folks were downright intolerant about the taco  
holding anything other than traditional Mexican fillings,
fearing that once the ethnic boundary was crossed, 
 pure Mexican food as it was meant to be, would be lost forever.

Others felt that a taco was no different than other sandwich-like holders,
and could be filled with anything that the mind and palette found appealing.
Then, there were the peacemakers,  
who suggested that those who were offended by the combination
simply shouldn't make it.  
    
C'mon people, can't we all just get along?  

Chicken Teriyaki: Super-easy to  make. This has become one of my favorite recipes! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #buzzfeedfood #recipes

Now, I've got to admit, some foods should never get married
because their personalities...not their ethnicities...
are wrong for each other. 

Let's face it, spaghetti with matzoh balls instead of meatballs,
will never work out, no matter how hard they try.

Sushi Parmigiana
Excuse me, but that's barf bag-worthy. 

As a rule, however, I lean towards the left on the subject of inter-ethnic recipe nuptials

Chicken Teriyaki: Super-easy to  make. This has become one of my favorite recipes! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #buzzfeedfood #recipes

So, where, you may be wondering, are the tacos in my photos?
I assure you it wasn't because of any prejudice 
that I omitted them from the recipe. 
It's simply that I didn't want the extra calories. 
Otherwise, I'd have no problem eating this Japanese/Mexican hybrid. 
But, what really attracted me was the recipe for the chicken teriyaki itself.

Have you seen those videos online
that show you step-by-step instructions for preparing recipes?
The one for Teriyaki Chicken Tacos was love at first sight.
Yeah, it seemed easy, but that didn't make me think less of it. 
I figured, what's the worst that could happen?
I could try it out one night, and if I didn't like it, we'd part company.

No hard feelings.  

Well, you know how it goes.
When you least expect it, that's when you are swept off your taste buds.

Chicken Teriyaki: Super-easy to  make. This has become one of my favorite recipes! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #buzzfeedfood #recipes

This teriyaki chicken was a huge hit with the family, 
which is saying something, because it's not always that easy to gain their approval.
The teriyaki and I have committed to a long relationship --
I even let it move in to my file of "favorite" recipes. 
We plan to enjoy many happy meals together around the dinner table.

if you'd like to get involved with the recipe (I don't mind, really)
I suggest that you watch the video (It's only 26 seconds).
If not, the recipe is here for your convenience.
The sauce will take a little time to thicken, so be patient.
By the way, I tripled the recipe for our family of three,
 which made about 6 servings.

Chicken Teriyaki: Super-easy to  make. This has become one of my favorite recipes! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #buzzfeedfood #recipes
TERIYAKI CHICKEN
(recipe from Buzzfeed Food)
 
 
(Yield: approximately 2 servings)      

1 pound boneless chicken thighs, cut into one-inch cubes.
1 tbsp. sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
pinch of salt 
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar 
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tbsp. chopped ginger
1/4 cup chopped scallions (to mix with rice, or for garnish).
Sesame seeds 


Heat the oil in a saute pan, and add chicken. Sprinkle with salt. 
Saute (medium high heat) for a couple of minutes, until no raw spots are visible.
Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar and honey; stir.
Cook until chicken is completely cooked, and sauce has turned to a thick glaze, stirring occasionally.
Serve over cooked rice (or in a taco with rice).
Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds.   

Chicken Teriyaki: Super-easy to  make. This has become one of my favorite recipes! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #buzzfeedfood #recipes

 All I have to say about this chicken teriyaki, with or without the tacos, is... 

I do.  

(Cue the wedding march). 


Chicken Teriyaki: Super-easy to  make. This has become one of my favorite recipes! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #buzzfeedfood #recipes

18 comments:

  1. Yum! I like anything teriyaki, and this looks delicious. Do you mean that we now have to follow rules in cooking? Although I guess some things just don't go together. I spent an hour yesterday chopping up raw vegetables for a pasta salad, discovered there was no pasta in the pantry so decided to cook quinoa for it instead. Should have been good, right? Was not though. Maybe because of the mayo in it? Inedible. Ended up cooking pancakes for a quick supper.

    Wouldn't you think that if Mexican foodies purists accepted Tex-Mex, they would accept teriyaki?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds and looks fantastic....except for one thing - I don't like dark meat chicken at all. What do you think about doing this with chicken breasts? I pinned it to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made it with white meat, but I am guessing that it may become hard, since it is cut into small pieces, and has to cook for awhile until the sauce thickens. That said, I'd still give it a try and see what happens! Let me know!

      Delete
  3. Yum! We love Chicken teriyaki so I am going to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great--and I LOVE Korean Tacos (the best are at Kim Cheeses) so why not other fusion too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy this is a very interesting post and I'm all into ethnic food fusion.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and chicken teriyaki have a long satisfying relationship! I hope to try it and find love at first bite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intolerance can be everywhere... even in chicken recipe! I think it's important to remember that it's only food and that no life is at stake... well, except for the chicken's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Amy,
    Wow this recipe looks so good and easy to prepare! I will try this out sometime.
    Wishing you a wonderful week and a Happy Valentines Day!
    Hugs Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a huge fan of teriyaki, but I have to say your pics are fab!

    Happy Valentines Day Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can tell that you and the Teriyaki Chicken are now in a committed relationship and good for the long haul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this one on Buzzfeed (maybe on FB?) and it does look so delicious. Of course I just put Moo Shu Pork in flour tortillas so there you have it. lol I bet this would be good with pork as well for people saying they don't like dark meat. I love dark meat and have chicken thighs in the slow cooker now and will have to put this one on my list as well! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks really good! Now, I wouldn't have put it in a taco though either. I think serving it over rice would be the way to go. Guess I'm more of a traditionalist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally pinned it! Sounds A-MAZING! YUM!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well this just looks amazing.
    I can taste it just looking at your great photo's.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amy, I'm happy to inform you that this recipe is featured at our Monday Cooking and Crafting with J & J. Hope you have a nice week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm all about food fusion! I want to try these teriyaki tacos you speak about!! oh and you totally had me laughing at barf bag worthy! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.