Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE AND DISTRACTIONS




Cauliflower Fried Rice | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Are you a procrastinator?
I never considered myself one, 

but I guess under certain circumstances, I am. 
It seems that when it comes to doing things that must be done.......
things that I'd prefer not to do.........
I'm rather easily distracted. 

I wasn't always like this.
As a former full-time working mom,
I couldn't afford to procrastinate.

I had only so much time to take care of my "mom-ly" chores,
and when I had a spare five minutes,
I could schedule three doctor appointments,
balance my checkbook, and make a food-shopping list (arranged by aisle),
and nothing...NOTHING...could take my focus off the tasks at hand.


Cauliflower Fried Rice | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Now that I'm not working?
I practically have to tie myself to a chair to get anything done. 

The slightest things distract me,
and before I know it, day is done with nothing productive to show for it. 
This morning, I was energized to Get Things Done.
By day's end, the only thing I crossed off my  
Things I Don't Want To Do list was "Make a To-Do list."
Why?
Distractions were everywhere.


Cauliflower Fried Rice | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


I thumbed through a catalogue.......
Tried on new pants with six different pairs of shoes.......
Checked Facebook.......
Had a snack.......
 Rearranged K-cups in their carousel.......
Watched the birds from the kitchen window.......
Looked through my photo library for pictures to frame........
Checked the weather forecast.......
Liked a few photos on Instagram........
Checked Facebook.......
Had a snack.......
Leafed through the photobook I made about Italy.......
Researched a cruise to Cuba.......
Searched online for a new outdoor dining table.......
Googled graduation gifts for high school students.......
Had a snack.......
Had a snack.......
Checked Facebook.......
Turned on the TV to see the news.......
Spent an hour online with Mr. GS looking at NYC apartments for sale 
(no, we're not planning on buying one).......
Took a quick peek at Rue La La and Gilt sales.......
 Checked Facebook.......
Checked Facebook.......
Checked Facebook.......

Oy.    
I need a distraction intervention!

Cauliflower Fried Rice | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Distractions aren't an issue when I want to do something. 
And one thing I wanted to do was try the recipe I found for Cauliflower Fried Rice.
So, I ignored my Facebook alerts,
took no notice of the birds outside my window, 
and paid no mind to my tummy rumblings.
I was totally and fully committed to the recipe at hand.

Most of you know that I'm a lazy cook,
and I will take any short-cut to make things easier.
The recipe called for a full head of cauliflower to be pulsed in a food processor.
I bought a bag of cauliflower rice at Trader Joe's.
Rather than dice up a fresh carrot, I used a bag of frozen peas and carrots,
to make it even more easy (frozen) peasy. 

Including preparation, this took under 30 minutes from start to finish.
And, it was mighty tasty! 
Next time, I'll add some chicken to make it a meal.

One note about the recipe --
in my opinion, it's best when eaten immediately.
Although leftovers were okay the next day,
it did get a little soggy.

Cauliflower Fried Rice | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Cauliflower Fried Rice

1 medium head of cauliflower (I used a 16 oz. bag of cauliflower rice)
2 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 white onion, diced
1 jumbo carrot, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 cup frozen peas, cooked according to package directions.
Kosher salt
Pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1 scallion, thinly sliced

Core and roughly chop cauliflower. Add to food processor and pulse in two batches until finely chopped. (Skip this step if using prepared cauliflower rice).

In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat sesame oil. Add onion and carrot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Stir in cauliflower and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour 1 tablespoon of soy sauce over vegetables, and stir until combined. Add peas (and carrots, if using frozen). Season with salt and pepper, and cook two minutes more. 

Scoot rice to one side, and pour eggs into empty space. Scramble until just set and mix into rice. Add remaining soy sauce and continue cooking 1 minute more. Garnish with scallions. Serve immediately.

Cauliflower Fried Rice | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

My advice to you?
 Don't procrastinate or drag your feet........
Get out of your seat and make this vegetarian treat! 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go check Facebook. 😀


LINKING WITH:


10 comments:

  1. We all get distracted at times. I did enjoy your story

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing out loud over here!!! Love this post and can TOTALLY identify - oh boy. That fried "rice" dish sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all get distracted at times. I usually work best with a tight deadline and I am on one now. (darn it)...lol
    Love that recipe and just bought a bag of cauliflower rice and an waiting to try it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know prepared cauliflower rice was a 'thing' at Trader Joe's. Learned something new today.

    Your distraction list sounded pretty productive to me Amy! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made plain old cauliflower rice but nothing like this---will do!

    Procrastination is my best vice. The more time I have, the less I get done. Fact is, we work better under pressure and a To Do list is not pressure! Wish I had an answer, I'm not the guy!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get distracted because I forget what I was doing! A lot! I will make this for myself on a night I have to make meat for the guys! Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! I've gotten terrible at procrastination and getting distracted. I think I have some kind of mid-life ADD thing-- I blame it all on social media, the TV, and being connected 24/7 via my phone, iPad and computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so amazing! Pinned! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining the 100th Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good Amy and I'd love to try it. Thanks for sharing at our 100th Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy,
    We have featured this recipe at C&C with J&J. Thanks for sharing.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.