Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

TODAY IN NEW YORK CITY: 7.28.2020 - IN RECOVERY



Rockefeller Center in New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus


Remember I told you how good it felt to go into the city last week
for the first time since the pandemic hit?
(Read about that here).
Well, today I went in for a dentist appointment,
and it was quite a different experience.

My dentist's office is in Rockefeller Center.
I was looking forward to getting there a little early,
just to soak up the city's vibes.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I was shocked.
I haven't seen midtown like this since 9/11.

Funny, I've  always felt safe in midtown.
On guard and aware, but safe.
Today, at 10:00 in the morning, I actually felt vulnerable,
walking almost completely alone
on sidewalks that are usually teeming with people.


Sixth Avenue was a ghost town.

New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus


Fifth Avenue was desolate.

New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus


Rockefeller Center was deserted.

New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus


Rockefeller Center in New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus

There were a handful of people sitting in some Adirondack chairs.
Imagine that - almost everyone in Rockefeller Center had a seat!

Rockefeller Center in New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus

Rockefeller Center in New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus



I think I may have seen a couple dozen people in Rockefeller Center.
I can't tell you how sad this made me.
I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country,
but New York is still in recovery.


I will never get exasperated at the crowds of people
getting in the way of my pictures again.

At least Prometheus was there.........

Rockefeller Center in New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus

Rockefeller Center in New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus


And he was wearing a mask.

Rockefeller Center in New York City is deserted due to the pandemic | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #Coronavirus






















23 comments:

  1. Actually quite eerie!

    Steve and I can't wait until life resumes and we can go to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Toody...that statue says it all, trying to fly high above it all, and reality is having to hide behind a mask. Our small community had a bunch of kids test positive two weeks ago for sports camps at the HS. Turns out they were celebrating over the 4th in large groups...now we have 78 active cases relating to that---that doesn't count the rest of the population...my goodness, little Lake Zurich made the national news twice this month, sadly. Yes...must have felt like you were the last person on Earth...like one of those B movies where some alien/brain-eaters had infested the world. Lovely photos...but I think I can relate...I can't even go to Wisconsin now without quarantining for 14 days when coming back...sadly they do not have mandated masks, nor does Indiana...we are holding here, but by the skin of our teeth. Seems there is no boundry-lines in the US to keep out the stupidity when dealing with this. Love your photos as always...and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    Were there food delivery people out and about? Here, even during the worst part of lockdown, there were at least pizza delivery cars out and about.... It does seem so strange. Are people staying completely locked up indoors, or are they going out to other places outdoors, as you have done, instead?? Were those outdoor places more crowded, as they have been here?

    I don't care for crowds at all. If I wouldn't get quarantined when I returned, for going to a hotspot, then otherwise I would say this would be a great time for me to visit NYC! But I suppose lots of touristy things are locked up....

    I've had two friends in my general area here who have gotten covid. Both had very different experiences. One was very mild and shocked she tested positive (but she works in healthcare and over half of her coworkers got it). The other has had a rough time (but managing to stay out of the hospital), and after 2 weeks has yet to receive her test results! In fact, a short trip to the ER for fluids and they said her hospital test was negative. But if it's not covid then she's never been sick like this before and it follows all of the signs. And her kids just got sore throats and they're fine.

    Your pictures without people-- I like them, yet it is sad at the same time.

    Liberty

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does seem pretty eerie! I haven't noticed much difference around here but being pretty rural we don't often see a lot of people around anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it felt very strange to not have the normal crowds. I could see where that would feel a little unsettling. Things are quite different around Chicago too. No crowds and the beaches closed. So strange for summer in the city. Hopefully by next summer it will be back to some kind of normal. Have a good week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. That had to be a very odd feeling. And yes, more vulnerable than with a crowd. The photos are beautiful. Around here it feels "back to normal" in some ways and I think that's a bit too soon. Here at the lake, I've not been in town shopping but have driven through and seen people, cars. NYC is doing it right, though. And I admire them for it. But yes, odd indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's got to be the strangest thing ever. I've seen photos and brief video, but am glad to get a first-hand account of what it's really like now. It appears that 5th Ave store windows are not broken or boarded up.....did you see any aftermath of looting, or does that appear better now? I just wonder what the true economic impact of this year will do to our country.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so very errie. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photos of the city Amy but at the same time it just looks strange without the crowds of people.
    I have not been to the city since February. I'm staying local and trying to be careful. Stay safe and enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy,

    John had to go in yesterday to pick up some items he needed. He said by his office it's eerie especially when he walked into the office. Everything is the same the day they left.

    They're thinking January to go back. Luckily his company isn't feeling any different business wise but people surrounding his office are, restaurants and so on.

    NJ and NYC are sad.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is definitely a new sight to see! No people in NYC??!! Hopefully by Christmas the streets will be full again. Around me you would never know there is a pandemic, other than everyone is wearing a mask, which is now required everywhere you go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, do you think it will be this way until a vaccine is available? I can't imagine Christmas there with no one on the streets shopping and going about their business. I cried at the ending of Sleepless in Seattle when I watched it last week. I think of all the movies centered in NYC that I love and the old Hallmark movie of the Christmas tree sellers there. I know that the city kind of belongs to all Americans but if it hurts those of us who have never been there, what must it be like for those who've called it home? Just so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow... I can't believe how desolate it all looks! I love your gorgeous pictures you got!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness me, it's hard to believe how empty it is, but worldwide we are experiencing such different things and are having to get used to 'a new normal'.

    Take care, stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Such beautiful shots of your dynamic city. Hope your appointment went well. I also hope that you will get to reconnect with the buzz of the city when things return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw all of those iconic locations without people. I guess on the bright side there was no need to photoshop anyone out of your photos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what beautiful photos! It's hard to believe NY can ever look like that. I can't wait until the day when the hustle and bustle is back to normal. Hope you are well!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that is crazy! I've always wanted to visit New York City.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is so sad.. what is New York without the hustle and bustle.
    We haven't been to the city since February.

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.