Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Banana-tella Bread

Nutella Swirl Banana Bread // Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Happy Labor Day!!!

How do you like your bananas? On the greener side? Covered in speckles? Somewhere in between?

Everyone I talk to seems to have a very strong opinion as to where on the banana-ripeness spectrum their preference lies.

My friend told me that her very young son will only eat "dotty" bananas…and her husband had the idea to "dot" them with a Sharpie to get him to eat them. It worked, by the way.

I like mine just after the last bit of green has disappeared, and they are yellow and almost speckle-less. Once they get even the slightest bit ripe, I won't eat them.


Nutella Swirl Banana Bread // Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Earlier this summer, we were invited to spend the weekend at a friend's house in the Hamptons. I wanted to bake something, so I checked my Pinterest "Just Desserts" board for inspiration.

I couldn't decide which fabulous recipe to make, since there are so many I've been wanting to try. But then, I happened to notice some overly ripe bananas sitting on the counter, just waiting to be sentenced to the freezer for future smoothie duty. 

The decision was made for me. I'd use the ripe bananas for Nutella Swirl Banana Bread, a recipe by Ali from Jam Hands. Ali always features fantastic recipes, so if you can't figure out what to make for dinner tonight, or you want a decadent treat, you should definitely visit her blog. 


Nutella Swirl Banana Bread // Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
The only change I made to the recipe was to use  1/2 cup of butter instead of 1/2 cup of shortening. The next time I make it (oh, yes, there will definitely be a next time), I'm going to try to use canola oil, instead of the butter, just to "healthy it up" a bit. 

Extra Moist Nutella Swirl Banana Bread

Recipe adapted from Jam Hands Makes 12 servings

  • 1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/3 cup Nutella
  • 2/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp milk
        
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large extra ripe banana, mashed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare loaf pan with baking spray or butter.

2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pudding mix. Whisk to combine and set aside.

3. In bowl of stand mixer, combine butter and sugar. Beat on high until light and fluffy.

4. Add eggs, one at a time until thoroughly combined. Add milk and vanilla, then the mashed bananas, and combine well.

5. With mixer on low, add flour mixture until just combined.

6. Spread half of the batter to the pan. Add dollops of Nutella over all of the batter. 



Nutella Swirl Banana Bread // Ms. Toody Goo ShoesTop with remaining batter. Run a knife through the batter in a swirl pattern. Tap the pan on the counter to remove air pockets, and place in oven to bake.

7. Bake loaf in oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Check the bread at about 40 minutes and if needed cover it lightly with tin foil to prevent it from getting too brown. Let cool. Run a knife around the edges and transfer to a plate and slice.

Recipe by Jam Hands.



Nutella Swirl Banana Bread // Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Nutella Swirl Banana Bread // Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Nutella Swirl Banana Bread // Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The banana bread was a hit in the Hamptons.  I'm going to make it again when some friends come over for brunch in a few weeks.

Which reminds me of a joke:


Why did the banana go out with a prune?
Because it couldn't find a date. 

Give it a try…I guarantee you'll go bananas for it! 


Nutella Swirl Banana Bread // Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Linking To:

Ms. Toody

53 comments:

  1. Your bread sounds wonderful! I often make different variations of banana bread (because my bananas always seem to turn brown before we get a chance to eat them!!), and the addition of the Nutella sounds heavenly!!! Thanks for sharing!! I'll have to try this out next time!!! Sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty fabulous, Maria! Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I just told hubby your cute joke and he was like - ha ha - real funny. I guess it just depends on who is telling corny jokes in our house - lol! I have never made banana bread with Nutella but it looks like that has to change. Looks delicious Amy. The Hamptons huh - lol! You and I are on the same page with banana ripeness. If they get ripe off to the freezer they go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell hubby I've got lots more bad jokes if he's game! My over-ripe bananas are taking over my freezer. Hope you enjoy the banana bread!

      Delete
  3. I have a couple of variations of banana bread I make during the cooler months, and I have now I have a new one to try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirlee, so glad you stopped by…give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  4. It looks delicious Amy - pinning happily away here!
    Letting you know you're a no reply blogger
    Let me know if you need help fixing that :)
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzan…just hopped over to your place to enter your giveaway…About that no-reply bogger thing? I don't even know what that means!

      Delete
  5. You're going to laugh - but this afternoon, for Labour Day, I made my husband his hands-down favourite childhood treat - a Nutella Banana Sandwich. Needless to say, I'm saving this recipe and will let the last bananas ripen to make it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is hilarious! Can you make me one, too? Actually, I may just have to surprise Junior Goo Shoes with that as a special treat. I hope you enjoy the bread... Glad to see you back in blogland, and congrats on the new baby grandaughter!

      Delete
  6. I was just wondering what to do with the over ripe bananas I currently have in my kitchen. This looks like the perfect recipe to try!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for following and good luck on the giveaway. Your banana bread looks terrific. Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy, wow now that is a treat! I was just over at Metamorphosis Monday at Susan's "Between Naps on the Porch" and I wanted to invite you to participate in my Patisserie Tuesday linky party. This cake will be an awesome success I'm sure and I would love to have you participate. Hope to see you there. Please tell your baking friends as well, the more the merrier!
    Hugs and happy baking,
    Beth P
    http://elisabetpollock.blogspot.com (a.k.a. Mossberry Cottage)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, I will head over to Patisserie Tuesday! I've been having computer issues all week, but I'll link up to it this week. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. How funny! I just baked a banana cake with chocolate chips! Your idea seems yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate and bananas --- you just can't go wrong! Thanks for stopping by, Magali!

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness! That looks so fabulous! Happy September! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie, it's pretty yummy. Happy September to you, too!

      Delete
  11. I guarantee that would be a huge hit in this house! It really does look good. Even makes me want to actually attempt to make it, with my pathetic baking skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you attempt it...or have you daughter make it. She's the baker, right?

      Delete
  12. Amy this looks and sounds yummy! I don't eat bananas and only like them if they are in a recipe like this or in a smoothie. Never could get used to the texture of them. I know, kind of weird but it is what it is. If you want to substitute the shortening or the butter, I use applesauce. It really works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will try it with the applesauce, Sandy. I'm always looking to cut out some fat.

      Delete
  13. Looks good! I am a sucker for a slice of banana bread anytime! The Nutella swirls just puts it over the top ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy,

    Well, your Hampton hosts must have really enjoyed this scrumptious treat! I love Nutella, especially smothered on crepes and topped with fresh strawberries! Your banana-tella bread is perfect for the upcoming season, with a great big cup of coffee, preferably to be enjoyed on a pretty porch, perched on a leafy lined street, with little chunks of chatter in between!

    Thanks for sharing.

    xoxo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you've managed to make the banana bread even more appealing, Poppy, by setting the scene for it's consumption! How about on that stunning balcony of yours?

      Delete
  15. Amy, Chocolate and bananas...great combination! I just popped in from Cindy's Best of Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Joan! I love that combo...well, then again, I like anything with chocolate!

      Delete
  16. Ooo, this looks so yummy. I'm sharing with my twitter friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, thank you SO much for sharing with your twitter friends! I really appreciate that. Kind of a sweet tweet, I guess;)

      Delete
  17. Looks wonderful. I've never combined chocolate and banana in a bread but it sounds amazing. Pinning to make very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delicious. Will definitely need to try this.
    Found you from My Favorite Posts SHOW OFF Weekend Blog Party #22

    Lea
    A Drop of This.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my...that looks divine!! I have pinned it to try!! Can't wait!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    Frances

    Stopping by from a Bouquet of Talent

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, this qualifies as a keeper in my Pinterest recipe file. Thanks for linking up this week at My Favorite Posts Show Off Weekend Party. Hope to see you again soon!

    Michelle @ On A Wing And A Prayer

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bet this tastes every bit as good as it looks. I like the idea of adding a new dimension to banana bread with nutella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think nutella would make anything taste better. Grilled cheese and nutella, maybe? Hehe...Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  22. It's really that good. And Toodie? I love your name!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, that does look yummy! I make a banana chocolate chip cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting that everyone goes nuts over and I think this banana bread might just be a hit too!

    I'm going to attempt it gluten free since we're a gf home - but I think the bananas will make up for the moisture just like they do in my cake - which I also add a vanilla pudding to!!!

    thanks for sharing -
    gena

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I would love to try yours with the frosting. I love cream cheese frosting...who needs cake, I'll just eat the frosting. I'd love to know how it comes out GF.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello! I saw your feature over at Wow Us Wed. I'm pinning your recipe because I'm looking for breads that I can make for a bake sale. Who can resist the combo of banana bread and Nutella?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, glad you are pinning it. It is sure to be a hit at your bake sale!

      Delete
  26. Love Nutella - this looks absolutely marvelous - will definitely give it a try!
    I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  27. OH SNAP! That is good stuff right there. We love Nutella. Pinning this recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum! I love banana bread and my husband can eat a jar of Nutella all by himself in a couple days! This is a perfect combination for us!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks to-die-for and I'm going to give it a go tonight!

    One note though, trust me: Butter in your bread is way better for you than canola oil. Canola isn't a thing, it actually stands for "Canadian oil low acid" and per Vanessa Runs (her name then dot com):

    Canola oil is developed from the rapeseed plant, which is part of the mustard family of plants. These oils have long been used for industrial purposes (in candles, lipsticks, soaps, inks, lubricants, and biofuels). It’s an industrial oil, not a food.

    Rapeseed oil is the source behind mustard gas, and on its own it causes emphysema, respiratory distress, anemia, constipation, irritability, and blindness. But through the beauty of genetic modification, we now sell it as an edible oil.

    So yay that you used butter this time around and please keep doing so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is the first Nutella recipe that looks good to me! Maybe because I LOVE banana bread so much!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yummy what a great recipe visiting from the blog hop for Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a wonderful blog with all kinds great ideas so happy I found it

    Come and stop by if you can http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.