Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Avocado Hummus Dip

Avocado Hummus - This couldn't be easier. Throw a few ingredients in the food processer, and it's done in no time! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #hummus #avocado

Are there certain ingredients that speak to you 
when you see them listed in a recipe? 

I've got a bunch...

Cinnamon
Cilantro
Nutella
Lemon 

In fact, if I saw a recipe for 
Nutella Avocado Muffins with Cinnamon Cilantro glaze, 
I'd check it out. 
Yup, I would. 

So, last week, when I was catching up on my magazine reading,
(I'm about a year behind...seriously),
my avocado radar went crazy when I came to a page in the February 2014 issue of Food and Wine magazine that showcased four recipes with my favorite green fruit.

Avocado-Hummus Dip?
Oh, yes!

Avocado Hummus - This couldn't be easier. Throw a few ingredients in the food processer, and it's done in no time! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #hummus #avocado

I'd never made hummus before. 
I figured, why bother, when there are so many varieties available in the store?
And for some reason, I thought it would be difficult.
But avocados have a strange power over me, 
so before I knew what was happening, 
I was in the supermarket, asking them where I could find tahini. 

It was such a big jar ($8!), and I only needed a little of it.
but I succumbed, and bought it. 
 I guess I'll be making my own hummus till it's coming out of my ears,
just to use it up. 
But, considering that hummus is a staple in my diet, 
it will end up being cheaper this way.  

Avocado Hummus - This couldn't be easier. Throw a few ingredients in the food processer, and it's done in no time! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #hummus #avocado


Mr. and Junior Goo Shoes aren't big fans.
In fact, the only time I remember them eating hummus was in Israel, 
when we had lunch at a ranch called K'far Kedem,
where you get to see what it was like to be a farmer 1800 years ago. 
We baked our own pita, and then had a meal of hummus and Israeli salad.
Aunt Goo Shoes and I were swooning...

Mr. and Jr. GS...not so much.
Oh, and the best part was that we had to dress up 
like ancient farmers to really get into the feel of it.

Mr. Goo Shoes said, "I am not putting that thing on."
But, the next thing we knew, there he was,
looking all Moses-like, and it was one of those moments 
where a pair of Depends would have come in handy
(I'm pretty sure they didn't have Depends in biblical times).
I don't ever remember laughing as hard as I did then
(well, except maybe on my girls' weekend in Boston).
 It made for some pretty hilarious pictures, but
I can't show you them to you, because, well, 
what happens in K'far Kedem stays in K'far Kedem. 

Here's a little peek, though.

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Ok, so, back to present day...

It takes no time to make the hummus -- who knew it was so easy?
Not like 1800 years ago, 
when they had to grind the sesame seeds to a paste by hand.
Just throw everything into the food processor, and...
zip zip zip... 
It's done!
Avocado Hummus - This couldn't be easier. Throw a few ingredients in the food processer, and it's done in no time! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #hummus #avocado

At first bite, I thought it was good.
I did add quite a bit of salt and pepper, 
so you will have to use your own taste buds to determine how much. 

As good as this is with veggies or pita chips,
It's really good on a sandwich, instead of mayo.
Turkey, tomato, cheese, maybe some red onion...
and a shmear of avocado hummus...
Oh boy, I can hardly wait till lunch tomorrow.
 
Avocado Hummus - This couldn't be easier. Throw a few ingredients in the food processer, and it's done in no time! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #hummus #avocado
Aunt Goo Shoes hand-modeling the avocado hummus.
Avocado-Hummus Dip
Recipe by Kay Chun, Food and Wine Magazine

2 avocados, chopped
1 15 oz. can drained chickpeas
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp tahini
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a food processor, and puree.
Serve drizzled with olive oil, with crudite or as a sandwich spread.

Avocado Hummus - This couldn't be easier. Throw a few ingredients in the food processer, and it's done in no time! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes #hummus #avocado
 Are you a hummus fan...or ho-hum on hummus?


 Linking with:
LouLou Girls Fabulous Party
The Scoop 
Treasure Box Tuesday 
Wow Us Wednesday 
Wake Up Wednesday
What's It Wednesday 
Home and Garden Thursday 
Share Your Style 
Foodie Friday
Tweak It Tuesday 

22 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! How could it not be with 2 avocados? :) I have no idea what tahini is but it seems to be a word I'm hearing lately. I'm behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge hummus fan! I LOVE the idea of adding avocado and the colour is so nice - looks delish! I find I get a smoother and moister hummus by using white kidney beans instead of the chick peas although both are good. I will definitely add the avocado next time! Your hand model has beautiful nails indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously? I have a lonely avocado on my counter and we LOVE hummus. This is happening in my life on a some flatbread tomorrow. NOM. Why do I read your posts before bed time?!?
    Pinned, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I'm a fan. My mum was making hummus when everyone else's mum was still experimenting with such exotic delicacies as Squeeze-a-snack cheese. I have never thought of Avocado - must try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love avocados and cinnamon. At the beginning of your post, I thought that, this is easy I'm can make it often. But I guess I underestimated the procedures. Alright then, I 'll still make it but not too often :)

    Dressing up like farmers is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. major yum! we are huge avodaco and hummus fans here! I seriously have to make this sometime. would be perfect with chips and crackers in winter when the rugby's on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, Hummus is one of my very favorite things on this earth...avocados not as much. But this looks good, and I'll have to try it. Can't pass up a hummus recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right now I am crazy for anything with avocado and/or cilantro. I am going to make this and sprinkle some chopped cilantro on top!! I love hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Amy thanks for sharing the hummus. In my house we LOVE hummus and I will definitely have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a fan of hummus, and I made some before (that tahini jar keeps very well in the fridge). I wonder what the shelf life of avocado hummus is, Amy? Does it turn brown fast? I'd like to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was a bit worried at the beginning of your post because I'm not a huge fan of nutella with everything - how unFrench of me - but avocado and hummus sounds a lot better than avocado and nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make hummus all the time but never thought of adding avocados. Not sure why since I love them. Making this tomorrow. Yum!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a huge fan of hummus and love to have it as a little snack on a Saturday evening watching a DVD with either kettle crisps or sliced peppers. I will give this a go and see how different it is to the shop bought version... even though I just know it is going to be soooo good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Amy, I am a hummus fan. . It is great on sandwiches or just to dip. I love the story of making your own on vacation.
    I hope you enjoy every bit at lunch tomorrow. I know what you mean when you are looking forward to a meal. You simply can't wait.
    xoxoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely new to me!
    Hummus is super popular here, but never thought to make it with avocado. I'm certainly cuirious now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super yummy recipe! This looks so amazing. Pinned and tweeted. We love to party with you, so I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm.. Have an amazing day! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so delicious! I love avocados, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love hummus (and yes, I make my own - it's much better than the store bought stuff!) and this looks absolutely awesome. I happen to have two ripe avocados on my kitchen counter and now I know exactly what I'm going to make...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the look of that hummus - great recipe, thanks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love hummus!! And avocados are a staple here! Thanks for the recipe, Amy!

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.