Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Chocolate Toffee Matzoh For Passover...Or Anytime

Chocolate Toffee Matzoh - A super-easy Passover dessert that everyone will kvell over! Melt brown sugar and butter, top with chocolate chips, spread chocolate to cover, and add nuts if desired. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

When it comes to celebrating holidays, do you stick to traditional dishes,
 or try new recipes each year?

I'm kind of a creature of habit, but every now and then, 
a new recipe jumps out at me, and I've got to try it.
Or sometimes, this happens: 


 
Truth is, I was terrified to make this, 
because it's exactly the kind of thing that I'd pick at all day long,
and without realizing it, it would be gone 
faster than it took Moses to part the Red Sea. 
But, after that public call-out on Facebook, 
what choice did I have?

So, for the sake of my people who still think that 
the one and only true Passover dessert is sponge cake, 
I had to try it.
 You're welcome.

And, for the record, you don't have to be Jewish to make this,
nor should it be reserved only for Passover. 

Chocolate Toffee Matzoh - A super-easy Passover dessert that everyone will kvell over! Melt brown sugar and butter, top with chocolate chips, spread chocolate to cover, and add nuts if desired. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
On the first night of Passover, my cousin asked me what I brought.
"Oh how funny, my daughter-in-law is bringing chocolate-covered matzoh, too!"
DIL is not even Jewish, but how sweet she is, to make a special Passover dessert.
I discreetly tucked mine away, so DIL wouldn't see it.
Of course, leave it to Mr. Goo Shoes to say,
"didn't you bring that, too?"
I gave him a kick under the table, but DIL didn't hear, thankfully.
DIL's chocolate toffee matzoh was a hit!
Someone asked her how she made it,
and it sounded exactly like mine. 
The only difference is that she covered some in white chocolate, 
and didn't use nuts.

Chocolate Toffee Matzoh - A super-easy Passover dessert that everyone will kvell over! Melt brown sugar and butter, top with chocolate chips, spread chocolate to cover, and add nuts if desired. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I will tell you that chocolate toffee matzoh is sweet! 
I'd like to say that a little goes a long way,
but I couldn't stop eating it.
The recipe I used called for it to be covered with salted chopped nuts.
I used nuts on half my matzoh, thinking I'd like it better without.
Nope. 
It was waaaaayyy better with nuts, IMHO.
The salty/sweet thing is amazing. 
Next time, I might try sprinkling some sea salt on it instead of nuts,
especially if I was bringing it somewhere that nut allergies were a concern.

Chocolate Toffee Matzoh - A super-easy Passover dessert that everyone will kvell over! Melt brown sugar and butter, top with chocolate chips, spread chocolate to cover, and add nuts if desired. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


The recipe I used is from Oh Nuts! Sweet and Crunchy
 I followed the recipe exactly, 
except that I used four sheets of matzoh (I couldn't fit five on my baking sheet).
Let me tell you, four sheets of matzoh makes a lot of dessert.
If I would have made only two sheets, it would have been enough.
Dayenu.*
 
*For my non-Jewish friends, Dayenu is sung at the Passover seder,
meaning "it would have been enough," as in,
if God had performed only one miracle instead of many, it would have been enough.

Chocolate Toffee Matzoh - A super-easy Passover dessert that everyone will kvell over! Melt brown sugar and butter, top with chocolate chips, spread chocolate to cover, and add nuts if desired. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Chocolate Toffee Matzoh
 
4-5 sheets plain matzoh
1 stick butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips (or any flavor chips you want)
1/2 cups salted chopped nuts (*NOTE: Peanuts are not kosher for Passover; all other nuts are.)

Preheat oven to 350°
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
Arrange the matzoh on the pan to cover the entire surface, breaking matzoh to fit.
Combine butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. If you are using unsalted nuts or unsalted matzoh, add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Place the pan over medium heat, and stir while the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Continue to cook the sugar, stirring frequently, until it starts to boil.  Once it's at a full boil, cook for one minute more, stirring constantly.
Take the pan off the heat and pour the sugar syrup all over the matzoh. Try to drizzle it so it's evenly spread over the pan.
With a knife or spatula, gently spread toffee around so it's covering most of the matzohs. Work quickly while it's still hot and liquid.  It will spread in the oven, so don't worry if you miss a few spots. 
Place the tray of toffee-covered matzoh in the oven, and bake for 5-7 minutes, until the toffee is bubbling all over.
Let the toffee sit for one minute, after it's out of the oven.

Sprinkle the chips all over the toffee, and let them rest for one minute. The heat from the toffee will melt the chocolate.
Using a knife or spatula, spread the melted chips all over the toffee, so that it is completely covered. 
Sprinkle the chopped nuts on top of the chocolate. Gently press into the chocolate so they adhere. 
Refrigerate the tray of chocolate toffee matzoh until chocolate is cool and set, at least 30  minutes.
After completely cooled and set, peel the foil or parchment paper off and break the matzoh into small pieces. 
Store in air-tight container at room temperature or in refrigerator up to one week; or freeze. 


Chocolate Toffee Matzoh - A super-easy Passover dessert that everyone will kvell over! Melt brown sugar and butter, top with chocolate chips, spread chocolate to cover, and add nuts if desired. | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I ended up taking my chocolate toffee matzoh back home.
I socked half of it away in the freezer so that 
no one else in my house would know where it was.
Well, you're supposed to hide the matzoh on Passover, aren't you


29 comments:

  1. Amy, You are SUCH a naughty girl. I LOVE toffee. I am copying this recipe but am going to wait a while to make it---Too much Easter candy hanging around here yet. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s called crack candy. I make it every year for Passover with matzoh. Everyone always asks for it. I think it’s the only reason I’m invited! Ha ha!

      Delete
  2. Wow Amy, this toffee looks amazing and I bet yummy too. Thanks for sharing the recioe to make this nice dessert.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I was just wondering if I could use Premium Saltine Crackers instead? Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a version of this that says Saltine crackers can be substituted. However, I would either use unsalted crackers; or with salted crackers, don't add salt to the brown sugar/butter mixture, and you may not want to use salted nuts. Hope you enjoy, Linda!

      Delete
  4. Yum, yum looks delicious, good and at Easter and a decrease in mood.
    I was preparing for Easter dessert called Passover. He also was very sweet and very tasty:-)
    Yours very warm and easterly

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious. I make something like it at Christmas only with graham crackers instead. Matzos would have been fun. I love Matzos with butter. Yummy. Have a wonderful week. I hope spring is finally starting to arrive up there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe and I'm sure many will enjoy it.....

    I'm a fan of the 85% dark chocolate so any recipe ideas tend to include that and I stay clear of sugars, but I love looking at and sharing ideas.

    Have a good week

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this recipe and I'm sure many will enjoy it.....

    I'm a fan of the 85% dark chocolate so any recipe ideas tend to include that and I stay clear of sugars, but I love looking at and sharing ideas.

    Have a good week

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my oh my oh my!! I just love Matzoh crackers and this sounds fabulous! I just got over my obsession with all different chocolate barks I was making....I think I'm jumping back in! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've made toffee with the saltines and it is out of this world good.
    Your toffee sure looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love it with bit salty nuts too. I kinda like chocolatey sweet and salty nutty taste :) I am nit really good in the kitchen but it is one of my goals to start a "career" in my own kitchen. This goes to my list. Thanks for the recipe.

    P.S. I thjnk you're a sweet Mom-in- law :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so good! I would be in trouble if that was in my house too. I love sweets and that one has everything in it I like. I've never heard of matzoh though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks yummy, so I think it can be made at anytime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love toffee and this looks so good! Will have to try it sometime, pinning this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy smokes, that looks good! I think I'll put the recipe aside for when I'm not trying to loose weight though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol! Yes, you ARE suppose to hide matzoh, and anything else this decadent and delish!

    I made something similar sans the matzoh and used sea salt as you mentioned. I think it's cowboy bark. Anyway, I posted it a while ago and it was addictive. Love the salty sweet combo too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wondered if you'd make something new and wonderful for Passover! :)

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wondered if you'd make something new and wonderful for Passover! :)

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so good Amy!! So similar to something we have made for years with Saltines and I would love to try it with the matzoh and those nuts on top! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of this in my life Amy ! Looks incredible !
    Wow - what will they think of next - maple syrup infused chopped liver LMHO???
    ( of which I had the best container of last week - and ate the entire thing myself because John hates it ) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so good! I’m drooling right now. Pinned and tweeted. We appreciate you being a part of our party. Please stop by on Monday at 7 pm. Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would eat every bit of that, too so I guess I better not make it. I am featuring it at Wow though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would eat every bit of that, too so I guess I better not make it. I am featuring it at Wow though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks soo good!! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so tasty, Amy. The kids and I make the saltine version at Christmas, and I'm bad, so I like to add sea salt to the top, or sometimes Heath Toffee bits instead of nuts. It is super addicting, and it always goes right into the garage fridge so I won't be tempted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks incredible and I know that it wouldn't last long at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds super delicious, and I'd be nervous keeping it around, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.