Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Thursday, May 23, 2019

THE VESSEL AT HUDSON YARDS: NEW YORK'S NEWEST LANDMARK



The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

**UPDATE**
The interior  of The Vessel is temporarily closed
except for the ground level base.
 


VESSEL: (ves-sel)

1. A ship or large boat, 
such as used by Stannis' army in Game of Thrones.

2. A container: a cask, bottle, bowl or cup
such as used to hold Tyrion's wine in Game of Thrones.

3. A tube or canal used to circulate body fluid, 
such as the ice water that flowed through Cersei's veins 
in Game Of Thrones.

4. The name of New York City's newest interactive landmark,
a sculptural staircase, located near the corporate headquarters of HBO, 
the network which brought us Game of Thrones


The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


The Vessel is a giant interactive sculpture, if you will, 
smack in the middle of Hudson Yards, NYC's hottest new address.
It's a spiral staircase of epic proportions.........
154 interconnecting flights of stairs with 2500 steps and 80 landings
(much to the chagrin of Game of Thrones fans, 
not one of those landings is Kings Landing).
Climbers are rewarded with interesting views of the city, the Hudson River, and more. 



The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


I've had The Vessel on my to-do list ever since it opened in March.
A perfect opportunity to visit presented itself when I 

made plans to have lunch with a friend I used to work with at HBO.
HBO recently moved from 42nd Street and 6th Avenue to Hudson Yards.

Lunch and The Vessel: Done and Done.


The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


There was one more thing on my wish-list that day: 

I wanted to sit on The Throne.
And by throne, I don't mean the porcelain one that so many pray to.......
I'm talking about THE throne........ the iron one.......
the rightful heir to which is.......
Ohhhhhh no-no-no-no-no, you're not going to get any spoilers out of me, dragon breath! 


The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Junior Goo Shoes is a huge Game of Thrones fan, 
and he would have banished me to Castle Black 
if I didn't take him with me to the lobby of HBO's corporate offices,
where the Iron Throne sits.
With my HBO I.D. card long expired,
my friend graciously met us so that Junior GS, two of his friends, and I
could sit on the throne and take pictures
 that were sure to make our friends Insta-jealous.  




After a lovely lunch catching up with my friend, I was off to take pictures of The Vessel.

I had my good camera with me, and my plan was to take some exterior shots,
and then ride the elevator to the top, and walk down.
I'd stop on different landings for different perspectives. 

I got ready to take my first shot, and pressed on the shutter button.......
Hey, what's going on here? Why isn't my camera.......

CRAP.
 
 I left the battery in the charger at home. 😖

 As for stellar pictures, well, as Arya in Game of Thrones so memorably put it.......

Not today.


The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


So, friends, I give you..........The Vessel: Cell Phone Edition.
I decided it wouldn't be worth going inside without my real camera, 
so that will have to wait for another time.


The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


If you plan to climb The Vessel, be sure to acquire tickets in advance.
They are free, but in order to control congestion, tickets are required.
You can also try to get tickets the day of your visit at the site,
but your time of entry will be whenever they can accommodate you.


The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Hudson Yards is a cool place to visit.
In addition to The Vessel, there are restaurants, and indoor mall........


Hudson Yards: New York's Hottest New Address #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Hudson Yards: New York's Hottest New Address #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


.......and The Shed, a recently-opened arts center for the 21st Century,
hosting galleries, music, dance, theater and more. 


The Shed at Hudson Yards, New York's Hottest New Address #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


It's also where The High Line connects to Hudson Yards,
so I strongly recommend adding this new destination to your itinerary 
when in New York City.


The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


At the end of the day, 
Junior Goo Shoes and his friends burned up the internet
with pictures of themselves sitting on the throne.......
and me?
Well, let's just say I was burned up, too, 
but in a more angry, I-forgot-my-camera-battery kind of way.

At least I got to sit on the Iron Throne.
There's that. 





The Vessel at Hudson Yards: New York's Newest Landmark #HelloHudsonYards | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes










11 comments:

  1. That is such a neat sculpture and you got some really great shots. I can't even tell you how many times I've gone to take a picture and realize my battery died! It's so annoying but I do tend to use my phone as a back up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can fully sympathisize with leaving the camera battery at home -- been there, done that! At least we always have cell phone cameras, and they do the job!
    I definitely would love to see this unusual staircase next time I'm back in NYC. There is always something new going on in Hudson Yards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That place looks so cool! Yay! A new place to visit when we visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think your camera phone took some great pictures …
    Enjoyed your post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of Hudson Yards (because I've become a curmudgeonly old NYer and the last thing we need is a mall) but the Shed is a beautiful space. If you get a chance, go see the Reich Richter exhibit there - I don't want to spoil it, but it is absolutely joyous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy,

    I'm new to your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed perusing your travel archive posts. I was at Hudson Yards in March (a week after it opened) because I was so excited to see how they transformed that area of Manhattan, and to climb The Vessel. I live in Philadelphia, but lived in NYC for 5 years and still love it. It remains my favorite city on the East Coast. I hope to move back in the future. I miss it.

    I too took my photographs of The Vessel with my phone rather than my camera because I was too lazy to take the camera out of my bag. So instead, I just snapped away with my phone camera.

    Your photos are fantastic! Great clarity and beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visited the Vessel in April. I enjoyed looking at it and the mall. We had dinner another time at a great Greek restaurant there with friends. You took such nice photos with your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh,the battery! My last stop in the Cotswolds fell prey to a dying battery and the spare back at home base. I feel for you. I really do love your posts here and will be looking for a follow link on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - great photos! I had no idea about this place until recently when my neighbors said they visited there. Thanks for linking up to Take Me Away! You always share such interesting places. Enjoy your weekend!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.