Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

WINTERING IN FLORIDA: 10 THINGS I MISS

 

 

Florida Sunsets - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 

After spending four months in Florida this winter,
I was looking forward to coming home to New Jersey.
It's not that I wanted to leave Florida.......
not at all!
If I could have figured out a way 
to be in both places at the same time,
that would have been ideal.
Short of becoming the subject of a clone experiment, however, 
I was ready to head  back up north.
 
Truth is,
 I missed my family, my friends, my house, my car......
and, ooohhh, my Nespresso machine! 
(I did NOT say mostly my Nespresso machine,
but, yes, I admit to yearning for a cinnamon
brown sugar nonfat latte more than once 😍)
 
Four months is a long time to be away from home......
long enough to forget how to use the TV remote,
and how to microwave Skinny Girl popcorn to perfection.  
I even had to think about how to get to my local Home Goods!
I know!!!    Crazy, right? 
 
I feel so fortunate that we were able to 
escape the northeast's winter weather, 
which was particularly harsh this year.
  As we tell our friends, however,
when you go away for that long, it's not really a vacation.......
you're just living life somewhere else. 
There's food shopping, and laundry to do........
There are bills to be paid, and an apartment to clean.
 There's even an occasional doctor's appointment. 
 
Granted, having the beach and pool nearby 
 does somewhat place the ratio of vacation to living real life 
at about 50/50.
 
60/40.
 
Okay, 70/30.
Who's complaining?
I'm not complaining. 

And, being in a warm weather climate
was balm for our pandemic-weary souls.

 
Yet, it is SO good to be home. 
Like I always say, if you aren't happy to be home, 
something is really  wrong.  
 
As much as I loved my time in Florida,
the answer is an emphatic NO.......
I would not want to live there year round. 
There's a greater chance I'll be drafted as the next quarterback for the NY Giants than that ever happening. 
 
 That said, I do miss these 10 things 
that were part of my daily life in Florida........



 🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴
 
THE BEACH
I miss the ocean being right at my doorstep. Okay, not literally.........there's an elevator, a parking lot, a street, and a gate with a lock on it between my doorstep and the beach. But still, it's close enough to walk to any time of day.

Beaches of Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Morning.......  


Beaches of Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

   

 
Beaches of Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Noon.......


Beaches of Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Or night.


TERRACE VIEWS
The ever-changing views of the Intracoastal Waterway, seen from our balcony, provided endless hours of entertainment. It sure did beat doomscrolling the news feeds!
 
Life On The Intracoastal, Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Look out!!!
 
 
Florida Sunsets - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes



The Intracoastal, Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes








Life On The Intracoastal, Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Florida Sunsets - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes



Life On The Intracoastal, Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


EXOTIC BIRDS
If you know anything about me, you know that I love taking pictures of birds. I got a particular thrill from telling flamingos, peacocks, pelicans, herons, and the  like to "smile for the birdie"! I don't think they appreciated my humor.
 
Flamingos of Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
 
 
Peacocks of Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 
SPECTACULAR SUNSETS
Sure, we've got sunsets here in NJ, but I'd have to go out of my way to find a view unobstructed by trees and utility wires.
 
Florida Sunsets - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Florida Sunsets - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
 

 
Florida Sunsets - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
 
 
DINING AL FRESCO WITH A VIEW
The barbecue area at our building serves up million dollar views of the Intracoastal, even if dinner is just a $12 pizza.  

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


MORNING WALKING PATH
My daily exercise was a two-mile walk on a path adjacent to the ocean. It was a nice way to get my cardio workout done, although, not so much when the humidity was high, and my WiFi bars were low.
 
Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
 
 
 
THE SOUND OF THE WAVES
I know there's an app for that, but please!
 
Beaches of Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 
THE "QUIET" AREA
My favorite spot on our condo property is the quiet zone, right alongside the Intracoastal. There's no yapping on cell phones, and no gossiping with the mah-jong ladies. It's a little slice of silent heaven, perfect for napping, reading, or just watching the boats go by.
 
The Intracoastal,  Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Ssshhhhh!!!!

 
OUR APARTMENT
Slowwwwwly coming together, and starting to feel like home-sweet-other-home.

Coastal Decor - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 
Coastal Decor - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 
 
MORNING RAINBOWS
Life isn't all rainbows and unicorns in Florida, but when you're lucky enough to have ROY G BIV as a companion while drinking a morning cuppa joe, it sure does start the day off on the right foot.
 
Rainbow over the Intracoastal, Florida - Ms. Toody Goo Shoes



Soon I'll be counting the days to leave for Florida again.
But.......not just yet.
I'm still happy to be home in NJ......
sipping a nice iced latte........
and spending time with my friends and family.

Till next time,


Did you enjoy this post?
Please  sign up to follow my blog
by filling out the "Subscribe By Email" box
located on the upper right sidebar!
Thank you!

 
LINKING WITH:
 


 
 

21 comments:

  1. Amy, How nice to have spent the winter in Florida during the pandemic. I love all of the things you miss about Florida and you have a place to look forward to visiting again. I enjoyed looking a the photos of Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the FL photos.
    You can sign up for my emails by going to my sidebar and leaving your email address.
    Thanks for stopping by....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Someday I would love to visit your kind of Florida! I have only been to Disney and the wrong part of Miami in the 80's! Your pictures are stunning! So happy to have you in my inbox again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, Love your posts and your photography. I live in Arizona and love it. Do miss the Ocean along the Connecticut coast. Take care and keep the blog going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful Florida photos! I love Florida and haven't been there in years; I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous place to live for the winter months. I too am like you I want the warmth and to be away from the harsh winters in the midwest but I do not want to live in the heat and humidity of the summers down south. I too would miss my family, grand girls and my midwest living but to be snowbirds during the winters is a ok with me too. Your pictures are beautiful and I am so happy you enjoyed the winter. We have a few more years before we will begin that journey of full time retirement and being snowbirds. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your location is beautiful, Amy. I really like the looks of your apt and esp the quiet zone! I'm sure there are a lot of people now anxious about ownership in FL after the Surfside tragedy. Me? I'd just settle for a nice vacation sometime after the hurricane season. Hopefully we'll get down there this fall. In the meantime, I suppose we'll just settle for the diamonds on the waters as we view and walk the Kanawha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH, how gorgeous, and the condo looks fabulous---what a change from NJ/NY. It's the unobstructed light for your photos! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get it. Florida would not be my choice for year round living. As you know, we thought about it but glad we didn’t make the move

    Your apartment looks perfect and the location is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very nice. Looks like a hard place to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You get the best of both worlds... sounds like a good deal to me.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Four months is a long time -- but you can't argue about the beauty of it all. Especially with this odd winter we in the north shared. Your photography shows it to the very best advantage. Those birds, especially, make me gasp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Florida wouldn't be my choice, and I am not a huge fan of hot weather, but to spend part of our winter in New Zealand would be appealing. My wife wouldn't stay away from home for more than three weeks though, so unless we decide to live in separate countries for part of the year it's not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do miss living near the ocean, but there is no place like home especially when you are near family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter has a Nespresso machine. I've never had coffee with it. Sounds like you really love it.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never considered wintering somewhere warm (not that we are able to right now), I like the changes of climate. I lived in a tropical country for a decade of my life and I like having four seasons even though it doesn't stop me from complaining about the cold or the heat. The snow has it's own magical charm.

    But your pictures make it look really good..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy, I can see why you miss Florida. Those to items are wonderful. Beautiful sunsets, amazing dining and the beach. My husband is from New Jersey. Enjoy your time at home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are outstanding, Amy and you have such great views and subject matter in Florida! Pretty home, too! I can see why you love it there. I'm a NYer and live in a small beach community, but it's painful here from October to May. If I could pick up and find it somewhere else for a few months, I would, too!! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved looking at your Florida photos. Your apartment, from what I could see, looks beautiful! Glad you're back!!!

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.