Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, September 13, 2021

TEN WATERFRONT HOMES AROUND THE WORLD: WHERE WOULD YOU LIVE?

 

Which waterfront home would you choose to live in? Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 


 

Wherever I travel, I always play the same game with myself.......
Could I live here?
 
Surprisingly, (or maybe not), I could see myself living in 
lots of different places around the world.
 
Mind you, this game I play is more like fantasy football
than actually playing in the NFL.......
meaning my  "Could I Live Here" musings
are located on the "far-from-reality" end of the spectrum.
I don't allow myself to get bogged down with thoughts 
of being away from friends and family.......
this is an exercise in fantasy, after all. 
 
Sometimes, Mr. Goo Shoes says things 
that  fuel my fantastical thoughts.
When I first met him,
he had never been anywhere out of the country.
Our first trip abroad together was
when I accompanied him on a business trip to Paris.
He whined about having to go.......
"Why do I need to see another city.......I'm from Brooklyn!"
While he was griping, I was packing.
 
Well.......after five days in Paris, he said,
"We should buy an apartment here."
 
And, during a trip to Italy, he was so taken with Tuscany 
that he wanted to live on a vineyard.

we loved the vibe of Regensburg, Germany.
He thought we should seriously consider
renting an apartment there for a few months. 
(You can be sure that once it's safe to travel abroad again,
I'll be reminding him of that one)!
 

 How about you?
Do you ever fantasize about living elsewhere?
Just for fun, why don't you suspend reality for 
 a few minutes, and play along with me?
          
I'd love to know which of these homes 
you would choose, and why.

And to get this off my chest,
I did not steal this idea from a dear blog friend, 
but it does remind me of her  
which are delightfully fun
(I recommend that you check out her blog).

As for me, I find each of these homes alluring,
in different ways.
You'll have to wait until the end to see
which would be at the top of my fantasy roster.......
and it was almost impossible for me to decide.

🏡 🏡 🏡 🏡 🏡 🏡 🏡
 
 1. BEACH HOUSE ON SULLIVAN'S ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA
 
Waterfront Home on Sullivan's Island, SC | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

This sprawling home is just 10 miles from downtown Charleston. Sullivan's Island is a laid-back beach community with about 2000 residents. There's been little development, so it has maintained its pristine natural beauty.  Open the doors to your bedroom in the morning, walk out onto the terrace, and  inhale the fresh sea air. Spend the day doing water sports, or park your tush in a beach chair (next to mine, lol). Check out the historical landmarks, or watch for wildlife. Pull up a rocking chair on the front porch, drink some sweet tea, and listen to the ocean. The island is known for a slow-paced coastal lifestyle, but if you're craving city life, the drive to Charleston is just about  one-half hour away, where you can indulge in some of the south's best Low Country cuisine. I'd move there just to be within smelling distance of Callie's Hot Little Biscuits.


2.  A HOUSEBOAT IN AMSTERDAM'S CANAL
 
Houseboat Living In Amsterdam | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


On the canals in Amsterdam, houseboats are a common sight. Live on the water, but hop off, and every amenity of city life is at your fingertips.  There are power, water, gas and sewer lines, so you won't be roughing it. In fact, house-boat living attracts upscale buyers. Grow tulips on your porch, and imbibe in a frosty Amstel while watching the constant goings-on in the canal (which can get quite busy). If you are so inclined, walk or bicycle over to a neighborhood (ahem) "coffee" shop where they do not sell coffee, if you catch my legal cannabis-scented drift. Don't even think about driving your house through the canal. Your spot is fixed, and your houseboat probably doesn't even have an engine. But, you can't beat the views or the location!
 
 
3. FARMHOUSE ON THE DANUBE RIVER

Farmhouse on the Danube River | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The Wachau Valley in Austria is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, so who wouldn't want that as their address? A stunning backdrop of rolling hills,  vineyards, and a front yard of flowering meadows surrounds this farmhouse on the iconic river that Johann Strauss' Blue Danube waltz  is named for. Invite some farm animals to live on your property, and plant some apricot trees. There are charming towns nearby, steeped in ancient history. If you crave big city life, Vienna is about an hour away. The area is renowned for its Reisling wine, which you can sip from your lawn chair, while watching the river cruise ships sail by.


4. HIGH-RISE CONDO ON FLORIDA'S INTRACOASTAL

High Rise Living on A1A in Florida | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

High-rise buildings perched on the narrow strip of land between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway are highly sought after, not just for their spectacular views, but because of their proximity to the beach and water recreation. Depending on which side of this building you're on, you'll either have an ocean or Intracoastal view.  Cross the street, and you're at the beach. Walk down to the lagoon, and hop on a boat from your semi-private dock. Take a dip in the pool before having a barbecue down by the water, while enjoying spectacular sunsets and a constant parade of boats. You'll need to cross a bridge to the mainland for mostly everything, but it's a fair price to pay for having both the ocean and Intracoastal right at your doorstep.


5. HOME ON LAKE TJORNIN IN DOWNTOWN REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

Waterfront Homes on Lake Tjornin, Iceland  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The homes on the lake are considered one of Reykjavik's most desirable addresses. This residential area is close to downtown, where chic restaurants, boutiques, and the famed Harpa concert hall are just a lava rock's throw away. Take a short drive to one of the city's steamy outdoor spa-like geothermal pools, which are perfect places to relax, even on cold days. The natural beauty of Iceland's unique landscape is yours to explore.......glaciers, waterfalls and black sand beaches, oh my! Days are extremely short in winter, so you may want to consider this as a summer home, when the daylight lasts up to 21 hours. The downside is, you'll have to learn how to pronounce "Tjornin."


6. HOUSE ON THE CREEK IN  PIERMONT, NY

Waterfront Home In Piermont, NY|  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


This house sits on Sparkill Creek in a small village situated on the western bank of the Hudson River, in Rockland County, NY. Piermont packs a lot of punch, considering it is approximately one square mile, and has  only 2500 residents. The main street in town boasts a remarkable number of upscale restaurants, many with splendid river views. There are some small shops, but you'll need to head out of town for a supermarket. The geography of the town is spectacular, with many homes perched on the jagged cliffs above, while others, like this one, are near sea level. Put your sneakers on, and walk to the Piermont Pier on the banks of the Hudson River. The town's salt marsh with abundant bird life is a true natural sanctuary,  yet it's less than 30 miles from your driveway to New York City.


7. CANAL LIVING IN BRUGES, BELGIUM

Canal Living in Bruges, Belgium|  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

This magnificent home is perfectly situated on a bend in the canal in Bruges, known as "Venice Of The North." The city has roots dating back to the 10th century. Gaze out of that gorgeous arched window, and watch the boats go by, while having your morning cuppa. Head out for a stroll down cobblestone streets, where remains of medieval architecture are around every corner. Markt Square, the center of Bruges, is within walking distance. Here you will find the prominent Belfry Tower and plenty of restaurants. Okay, so there are lots of tourists. But, did I mention that the world's best chocolate shops are just steps away? And Belgian waffles! And then, there's the beer festivals and Christmas markets.....what's not to love?


8. HOUSEBOATS ON HORSESHOE POND, ERIE, PA

Houseboat Life on Horseshoe Pond, Erie, PA |  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Picture coming home to a houseboat in the middle of a pond in Presque Isle State Park (there are 24 of houseboats in this pond). This is relaxed living at its best. Sit on your deck, and marvel at the wildlife (you may even spot a bald eagle), or drink in Erie's magnificent sunsets. Open the front door, and hop onto your jet ski, paddle around in your kayak, or go fishing. Pack a lunch and take your speedboat over to a nearby beach.  Home is paradise when surrounded on four sides by water. However, if you want to use your house in winter, the ice will have to be thick enough to walk across to get to it.
 
 
9. CONDO ON THE HUDSON RIVER, BATTERY PARK CITY, NEW YORK

Highrise Life In Battery Park City, NY |  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

On the southern end of Manhattan, settle into a luxury high-rise offering unique amenities not usually found in NYC.  Waterfront parks are your backyard, with miles of bike and jogging paths, in one of Manhattan's most vibrant neighborhoods. Keep your boat in the marina next door for quick getaways (okay, you need big bucks for that, but this is fantasy, remember)?  Want quiet time? Sit in the building's own private garden, swim in the  outdoor pool, and enjoy cocktails on the roof deck with spectacular views. From a high floor, you can see forever.....and there's a good chance you'll see the Statue Of Liberty from your apartment. Walk a few blocks for some of the world's finest restaurants, shopping, and sites, such as the World Trade Center memorial. The city's vast mass transit system easily transports you to other parts of the city. 
 
10. APARTMENT ON  BAY OF NAPLES, ITALY
 
Bay View Living in Naples Italy |  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Imagine yourself sitting on the terrace of this architecturally splendid building, staring at The Bay Of Naples, and  Mount Vesuvius in the distance. Walk over to the cafe for a morning cappuccino, and chat it up with the locals (in Italian, of course). Visit the neighborhood castle, Castel Nuovo, built in the late 1200s. Dine on some of the best food in Italy (the world, maybe?) just steps from your flat (but be careful crossing the busy streets).  Life in Naples is fast-paced, noisy, and gritty, but a little less so in this particular spot. Nevertheless, you'll need some patience to deal with the chaos. When you need some quiet time, a high speed ferry whisks you over to the world-renowned Amalfi Coast, or the ruins of Pompeii. Me? I'd move to Naples for the pizza alone.
 
 
 🏡 🏡 🏡 🏡 🏡 🏡 🏡
 
So........which would I choose?

 
While the idea of living in a floating houseboats 
on Horseshoe  Pond, sounds absolutely idyllic........
 or, having 21 hours of sunlight a day to explore Iceland  
would be an epic adventure.......
or, being in close proximity to southern fried-everything 
on Sullivan's Island sounds delicious.......

I'd put the canal house in Bruges at the top of my list.
It would be like living in the midst of a romantic, 
medieval fairy tale.
With Bruges as home base,
it would be so easy to travel all over Europe.
And, oh, the Christmas markets! 
The Belgian waffles!
The chocolate shops!
 
It's Belgian chocolates on the canal for the win!

So, which home would you choose?



Linking With:
Our World Tuesday
 




22 comments:

  1. Wow! Amy all of these waterfront homes look and sound so nice. I will have to pick #10 Apartment on the bay of Naples because I love Italy, this view is amazing, and I love the food. Have a nice day and week Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh we do that a bit too.. for me it would have to be a city. I couldn't do farmlands or a house boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great choices, Amy. I have a few locations to which I could actually move, not fantasy locations fuelled by the excitement of a trip, but places I am pretty sure I could settle in and be happy. One of them is where I am right now - Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. I really enjoy this part of Canada and it would be easy to move here. Two other areas that spring to mind are Québec City where I used to live, and the area around Avignon in the south of France. I am quite sure we will never move, however. We enjoy the area we call home, and nearly all of my wife's extended family lives in the same county. I don't think we will be relocating any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I surprised myself because despite the gorgeous homes around the world here, I choose the house on the creek in Piermont in my home state! I guess I am more of a homebody than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m with you…Bruges it is for its charm, location and food! Maybe we will be neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Junior is going with the canal in Amsterdam or the apartment in Naples. The apartment in South Florida doesn't seem too bad either! Also, very well written!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many choices. I am not a city person. We like our privacy. I would love to live in Italy, maybe not an apartment though. One day we hope to explore. Interesting post amy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Amy they are all fabulous in their own way. It would be hard to chose just one. I would love to visit and stay in all of these for maybe a month or two and get to live in all of them for a short while. The one in Italy looks pretty amazing. I do not think I could do a high rise for a forever home. They are all just gorgeous spots to dream about. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd probably choose the house on Sullivan's island... but I'm more apt to want a house on the rocky coast of Maine where I can see the water but not necessarily want to go in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'd take the home on Sullivan's Island in spite of hurricane season and alligators that will eat humans as an appetizer. I'm a southern girl, and my French is very poor (although Bruges does tempt me). The intercoastal condo is also tempting, but we are currently in contract to go back to house living from condo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They’re all beautiful!! Being a beach girl, I’d find it hard to live away from the ocean, but I’m not picky about what ocean!! As long as I can see the water, I’m good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, they are beautiful. But I don't like big homes, so I'd go for a house boat, or the condo or apartment.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Amsterdam and boats so that's my first choice (though Piermont i so lovely, that's a close second!) I'm not sure about winter in a houseboat, though! But three seasons in The Netherlands? I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGoodness, that's an easy one for me...I'd love to spend a summer in a 'hus' by the sea in Denmark. Denmark is so small and varied...you can travel the entire country by train...and bicycle...of course a week or two in Copenhagen. Sigh, I really can't wait to go. Second would be New Zealand with my BF...to visit her Mum and see everything...but they just lock down the second they get ONE covid case. But, it's imagination, so I will go to the land of Hobbits ---mountains and endless ocean views! Hugs, fun traveling with you! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! It's quite difficult to choose. Maybe I'd pick the farmhouse on the Danube. It looks so dreamy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. The canal house is Bruge was my choice until I got to the building on the Bay of Naples. My son and his wife said that the pizza in Naples is the absolute best.

    Steve and I had the wonderful experience of living in a beautiful stone house on the Caribbean Sea. We were in the Peace Corps in Jamaica and have many fond memories of waking up to a fabulous view each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice but I will stay where I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have enough water with the San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean near me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my. I am going to have to cheese #10. The view!!!! xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the look of the farmhouse on the Danube :)

    Hope you are enjoying the month of September.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hard to choose, but I really like the look of Sullivan's Island beach house!

    ReplyDelete
  21. #1.
    Why. Not to near. We had flooding twice.

    I sure loved Tuscany, but I could choose I´d move from a to b to c.... in Western and Northern Australia and a bit in the Outback, too.
    We should´ve been in Perth February last year. Dan it, they still let nobody in.

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.