Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"Died and Went To Heaven" Chocolate Bundt Cake...and "When I'm Sixty-Four"



Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

What do you think is the right age 
for your kids to leave the nest?

 20's? 
30's? 
60's????

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I'm freaking out a wee bit that Junior Goo Shoes 
just finished his freshman year of high school.

"You know, I only have three more years
that I'm living here full time."

I feel a little nauseous when he says it,
because this, I know...is true.

As I try to wrap my brain around the fact
that in three short years, my baby boy
will be off to college,
I'm reminded of a conversation we had 
back when Junior Goo Shoes was about six years old.

We were in the car, when a little voice from the back seat said,

"So when am I done with you guys?"

Mr. Goo Shoes and I looked at each other,
with "Huh?" faces.

"You know, like when do we separate,
and I go live someplace else without you?"

We explained that he'd probably leave us
when he went off to college, 
and after graduation, he may want to get his own place.

"NO WAY!!! I'M NOT LEAVING YOU GUYS
UNTIL I'M IN MY SIXTIES!"

Please, don't think any less of me,
but a little piece of me said, "Phew."

Of course, I'll be well over 100 by then, but I'm good with that.

I wish I could hit rewind to try to figure out
why that thought came into his little head.

Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Anyway, this is what's going 
through my head 
as we close the book on another school year...
and I think I may have shed a few tears 
into the batter of the chocolate bundt cake
that I made for Teacher Appreciation Day.

No wonder it tasted better than usual.  

Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I've been making this recipe for years.
A very good friend gave it to me,
and she got it from  
The Eating Well New Favorites Cookbook.


Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Now, I can hear you saying that the last thing
you need is another chocolate cake recipe.
Normally, I'd agree with you, but not this time. 

Do you think I would have posted this,
if it were just any chocolate cake? 

The cookbook called it
"Died and Went to Heaven Chocolate Cake,"
so it's not just me saying it's special.

This cake is like a little black dress...
one that you need to have on hand, 
because it works in a number of social situations.

Dress it down...
 and it's a great cake to serve
for brunch...
 
Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Dress it up by putting it on a pretty plate...
adding some fresh whipped cream and berries...

Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

or ice cream and chocolate sauce,
or a drizzle of caramel sauce...
and it will hold its own at the fanciest of dinner parties. 

The Dutch-process cocoa powder is definitely preferable,
but I have made it with regular cocoa powder in a pinch,
and it was still yumscious. 

The batter is very thin...
so don't freak out and think that you made a mistake. 


Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I discovered by accident that this cake is much better
if you make it a day in advance,
and refrigerate it, once it's cooled.
It gets very dense and moist.

 I usually pour the glaze over it,
but because I had to wrap it up and take it to school,
I sprinkled it with powdered sugar this time.

I pre-cut it, and took a piece out 
so that I had something to photograph,
and re-arranged the slices, 
so no one could tell one was missing, heh heh.
I made some of the icing to drizzle over the slice.

Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

"Died and Went to Heaven" Chocolate Bundt Cake



1 3/4 cups all-purpose white flour

1 cup white sugar 
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt 
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil, preferably canola
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup hot strong black coffee

ICING:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp buttermilk or lowfat milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Lightly oil a 12-cup Bundt pan  or coat it with nonstick cooking spray. Dust the pan with flour, shaking out excess.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. 


Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on minimum speed for 2 minutes. 

Whisk in hot coffee until completely incorporated. (The batter will be quite thin).


Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. 
When it is completely cool, remove from pan.

For Icing:
In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough of the buttermilk or milk to make a thick but pourable icing. Set the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the icing over the top.

Serves 16. 

222 calories per serving; 2 G protein, 4 G fat, 43 g carbohydrate; 274 mg sodium, 27 mg cholesterol



Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Bundt Cake -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Give this a try, and I'm betting you'll want it to be a staple in your dessert wardrobe.


Now if I could only get this song out of my head...

"Will you still need me, 
will you still feed me
when I'm 64?"

Chocolate Bundt Cake: Rich, dense and moist...so delicious!  -- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes



LINKING WITH:

58 comments:

  1. Thnaks for the honorable mention. I haven't made this cake in ages, but it sure looks wonderful - AGAIN! I think you always did a better job with the receipe than I did and your pictures of it look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites, Phyllis! I'm glad you gave me the recipe all those years ago :)

      Delete
  2. Oh how heavenly Ms. Toody! :D

    A slice of chocolate cake always seems to solve the problem...for the short term at least. Well, I can understand your sadness of course...but be proud of the young man you've raised and think of the great things he will accomplish once he goes out into the world. It's a bittersweet moment, but it is also a moment of pride. Ahhh but why worry? Let's just enjoy the cake for now ;)

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with your advice, Tammy! Why worry about tomorrow when you can eat cake today!

      Delete
  3. That sounds scrumptious!! I have a "go to" chocolate bundt cake that is my Mom's friends recipe I have been making for years - can't believe I've never posted it but I am ALWAYS game to try a new chocolate cake. Yum and pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute that your son said that! My younger son told me when he was ten that he was never leaving, because he would miss me too much. Wish that were true! Delicious cake recipe - thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's sweet, what your son said! I wish it were true, too!

      Delete
  5. First of all, that cake looks delicious! I am a huge chocolate lover (my poochy stomach reminds me of that everyday). I may give this cake a try not only because it's chocolate but I love making bundt cakes. They are so easy! My oldest son is 20 so I know how you're feeling thinking about an empty nest coming in the next few years. It's so hard to let go of our kids even though it's the normal and expected thing to do. Thank goodness for phones though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it, Kelly, if you do make it. I'm going to try to make the most of the next three years - if he'll let me, Ha!

      Delete
  6. that cake looks absolutely amazing. i love chocolate and anything associated with the word! what a sweet story. i wonder if your son remembers that convo and still wants to stay until he is 60? Happy Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked if he remembered, and he said 'vaguely,' but I doubt that he really does. As for staying till he's 60, he said "HaHaHa!" And the cake is really delicious, Laura!

      Delete
  7. My son will be a Senior this year and it is already making me feel a bit strange....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...I can't even imagine what senior year is going to feel like!

      Delete
  8. oh wow this looks so good! thanks for sharing!

    styleandchocolates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute story Amy! I would have cracked up if my child ever said that...he sounds like a pip!

    I thought I was the only one who did the 'slice' trick. ;) Your analogy of the cake being the little black dress of desserts is so true, and it sounds and looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, the old "slice" trick! With a cake like this, it's hardly noticeable :) And yes, my son is a pip - he always keeps us laughing!

      Delete
  10. Yum this looks so good!
    I left home in my early 20s .... my brother is still living at home (mostly because he works away) and he's in his mid 30s! I guess we are all different :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's funny, but now it's hard for kids to get jobs after college, so they end up moving home for a good, long while!

      Delete
  11. Saving that right now! It looks lethal, and that's what a cake should be.
    We have our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter living in an apartment over our garage - I am not too proud to say that this REALLY works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would work for me, too! How nice to have all of that bonding time with your granddaughter! I have to say, the cake is really delicious. It's so moist, and rich, and chocolately...oh, if only I had a piece right now!

      Delete
  12. Oh boy! This looks really great. I have a fav choc bundt cake that calls for pudding in the batter and sour cream. Yours will be a must try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pudding and sour cream? Oh my, that sounds awesome! I would love to try that recipe!

      Delete
  13. Oh - you've got me giggling over here. Love your comparison to the Little Black Dress....I have to print this recipe for sure!! Oh if only they would stay till they are 64....I miss my sweet daughter so much but feel blessed that she has found her place in this big world with a wonderful life partner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's what we hope for, that they will find love and happiness, and that we can still be a part of their lives. OK, enough about the serious stuff - I'm glad I made you laugh!

      Delete
  14. Oh My! I think I'm falling in love with this cake. I have got to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing with us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was love at first bite, for me, Angel! Let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  15. LOL if it is any comfort once he leaves in a few short years he'll be back with grandkids for you to bake for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My oldest is planning to go to college within driving distance, which is great by me. My middle child is talking about going to the other side of the country. Yikes! I haven't lived at home since I was 19, because after my freshman year I didn't go back in the summer. I don't see that happening with our kids though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my son goes to school someplace within driving distance...it would sure make the transition easier!

      Delete
  17. Amy, Does anyone ever really have too many chocolate cake recipes? I will definitely be trying this one...when I get a kitchen again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Corinne, never too many chocolate cake recipes, and never too many little black dresses!

      Delete
  18. Oh yes!! I will definitely be making this. We make a chocolate cake called Red Earth Cake that has a little coffee in it but one cup?! Sign me up please. :) Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the coffee gives it a really rich taste, and cuts the sweetness. It's fabulous, Stacey!

      Delete
  19. The cake looks to die for...the empty nest thing is coming up faster for us than wanting. I still have one year for our older boy and then my youngest starts HS. Seems the minute they start HS is when it just flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this was my son's first year of HS, and I cannot believe how fast it went. When I look back on my own childhood, it seems so long! But not so much when you're the parent!

      Delete
  20. I love this post. It's hard when kids grow up and won't stay around until they are 60 but there are many different and equally wonderful times ahead! Oh and.... I lover the cake. So enjoy your posts!
    All the best ~ denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! I know there are wonderful times ahead, and this is how it should be, but I want him to stay till he's 60! Waahhhh!

      Delete
  21. I am with you with regard to the kids growing up (I can't be with you on the cake thing since I'm allergic to 4 of the ingredients). My baby boy is starting high school in the fall and I hope he comes back when he's done. Don't get me wrong, I want him to get a job and learn to support himself, but I just can't imagine not knowing all of him. And to add insult to injury, what if he goes off to college and meets a girl and marries her and moves near her family, which may not be near me? I may have to move my nest! Now I need a piece of cake. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Beth! What if they move far away??? Arrrggghhh! I'm going to go hug him right now while I can...if he let's me!

      Delete
  22. What a wonderful cake! Why do you show me? Why do you note the recipe with every ingredient? Why? Summer is coming :)

    Thanks a lot


    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  23. As I'm familiar with this recipe - I can tell from my experience - It's a wonderful delicious cake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you can vouch for the cake's deliciousness, Winnie!

      Delete
  24. Your chocolate cake definitely catch my attention. The cake looks extremely moist. I do let the cake rest overnight at room temperature and it will definitely moister and easier to cut. Thanks for sharing with 4 seasons blog hop. Cheers and have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My bundt pan is very lonely. Time to introduce it to this yumscious (love your word) tasty treat! Thanks for sharing at #theWeekendSocial. Hope to see you Thursday at 9:00 PM EST when we start over again. I've pinned your link! @theKitchenChopper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lonely bundt pan is a very sad thing! I hope you cheer it up with a little cake batter! Thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate the pin!

      Delete
  26. Oh my!! Died and went to Heaven!! Plus, that black floral plate is just gorgeous!! I need to get me some plates!!! Thanks for another killer recipe. Have a wonderful (heavenly) day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a plain chocolate cake, it really is delicious! As for the plate, I got it at Home Goods (I bought the matching bowls, too). They were very inexpensive. I think I have a dish fetish :)

      Delete
  27. Sweet story! Awesome recipe - love the title! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a cute story to go with that cake. My oldest is 21 and he's still here! Thanks you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me feel better when I hear that your son is still home! I know we don't want them home forever, but...don't want them to leave too soon, either!

      Delete
  29. I think the question is not the age when they leave, but how old they will be when they come back home again? It seems this happens more often that it use to.
    This cake sounds so awesome. Anything chocolate is a winner in my books.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Bev, that is the question! They all have so much debt, it's hard to make it on their own. Glad you stopped by!

      Delete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.