Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

A perfect blend of two of my faves - stuffed pepper and Mexican, made in the slow cooker, to boot! Heading over to get the recipe, which I know I'll be pinning!

Have you ever fallen in love with a recipe?

I am truly, madly, deeply infatuated with this red pepper hummus 
that I found over at Inspired Taste.
 I've made it twice in the last month, 
and it's going to keep showing up in my refrigerator, 
I can tell you that.

You may remember that I first attempted hummus several weeks ago 
when I made Avocado Hummus.
Well, I had this big honkin' jar of tahini in the fridge,
which was ridiculously expensive,
and I wasn't about to let it go to waste.
Plus, once I tried home-made hummus,
there was no turning back to store-bought.
You can be sure that if I prefer to make homemade versus
buying it, it's GOT to be EASY. 

A perfect blend of two of my faves - stuffed pepper and Mexican, made in the slow cooker, to boot! Heading over to get the recipe, which I know I'll be pinning!

One reason this hummus is so outstanding is the consistency.
I suggest you read Inspired Taste's post on the 
simple secret to making good hummus, here
I really do think it made a difference.
The other reason is that there is a little cumin,
and a pinch of cayenne pepper in the hummus, 
which adds just the right amount of zip to it.

The original recipe calls for home-made roasted red peppers.
Even though that is not a hard thing to make,
I opted to use jarred roasted peppers, 
because if I can skip a step, I'm going to do it, lazy cook that I am.
I can only imagine how delicious it is with home-made roasted peppers, 
and I vow that someday, I will try it that way. 
I will give you the recipe the way I made it;
if you want to roast your own peppers, click here.  

A perfect blend of two of my faves - stuffed pepper and Mexican, made in the slow cooker, to boot! Heading over to get the recipe, which I know I'll be pinning!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

3/4 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, plus a tablespoon more for garnish
1 15-oz. can chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 whole lemon)
1/4 cup tahini
Half a large garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch cayenne pepper (optional) 
1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on your taste

In the bowl of a food processor, combine lemon juice and tahini. Process for one minute. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl; then turn on and process another 30 seconds. This will make the hummus smooth and creamy.

Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper to whipped lemon juice and tahini. Process for 30 seconds. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl; then turn on and process another 30 seconds. 

Drain canned chickpeas and rinse well with cold water. Add half the chickpeas to the food processor and process for one minute.  Scrape bottom and sides of bowl; add remaining chickpeas and process for another one to two minutes until thick and quite smooth.

Add peppers to hummus and process for one to two minutes, or until smooth. 

If the hummus is too thick or still has pieces of chickpeas, slowly add one to three tablespoons of water until consistency is perfect (I did not have to add any water; it was perfect without).

For garnish, finely chop reserved peppers. Scrape hummus into serving bowl, make a small well in the middle and add diced peppers. Drizzle with a little olive oil.

Store hummus in an airtight container and refrigerate up to one week. 


A perfect blend of two of my faves - stuffed pepper and Mexican, made in the slow cooker, to boot! Heading over to get the recipe, which I know I'll be pinning!


Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Oooh. We love roasted pepper hummus and will have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing. It sounds yummy. ~ Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade hummus really does taste better. I have a friend that is crazy for the stuff, so I'll send him the recipe :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son-in-law loves to cook and he loves hummus. I am sending this recipe over to him. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. We absolutely LOVE red pepper hummus - definitely will be making this. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big fan of hummus but that may be because I've only tried store bought. That sure looks good so maybe I'll try making it next time I'm having people over. That's usually when I break out the "dips" and "spreads".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I love all hummus, but have to agree homemade is best. I haven't tried this one yet, so I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious - I love hummus. I usually use white kidney beans in place of the chick peas. Will have to try it with roasted red peppers next time. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, your roasted red pepper hummus looks and sounds delicious. Glad that it's so easy to make, too. Thanks for sharing; will definitely whip this up!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is our family favorite! We've always done store bought. Pinning for a fun summer treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This may sound weird, but roasted red peppers are one of my fav things to eat. I've actually made something very similar to this and it's fabulous and oh so addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have the best hummus recipes! I also loved the avocado one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks super.
    I love red peppers.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks super.
    I love red peppers.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.