Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Friday, December 10, 2021

RECENTLY IN NEW YORK CITY: LUCKY NUMBER 3

 

 

New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 
It is said that the number three drives imagination.......
that it's the number of good fortune
(eg, third time's a charm).......
and is considered a spiritual number in many religions.
 
It's associated with sociability, humor and a love of fun.

Yup, yup, and yup. 
 
In the span of three weeks, 
I went to New York City three times,
to three different neighborhoods,
to meet friends I know from three different areas of my life, 
and ate in three very different restaurants
(Before you ask, NYC restaurants require proof of vaccination, 
and it was before omicron was a thing......
so I felt comfortable eating indoors).  

The pictures below were taken with my cell phone.


1. DOWNTOWN: November 14
 
I've known J and B since we were about five or six years old. J flew in from San Francisco, and B drove down from Boston. We met for brunch in the Meatpacking district, at Pastis, a bustling bistro serving traditional French fare. 
 
The three of us haven't been together (other than Zoom) since our high school reunion eight years ago. We had a lot of catching up to do!
 
Before meeting them, I had some time to walk around this very hip neighborhood, which I rarely get a chance to visit.

New York City's trendy Meatpacking District | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Gansevoort Street and Ninth Avenue, Meatpacking District

Fall decor outside a downtown eatery.
 
 
New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
One of many NYC restaurants that erected outdoor dining structures in the streets to serve customers during Covid.

 
New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
An inviting  and homey storefront at Feast On Us.
 
 
Little Island, New York City's newest park | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Little Island, NYC's newest park on the Hudson River.

 
 
2. MIDTOWN: November 17
 
Three days later, I was back in the city for a joint birthday celebration with F.  My birthday is in September, and hers is in October, but our plans got postponed until November.
 
F and I met in our 20's when we were in the same "share" house on Fire Island. Sharing a beach house was the thing to do back then if you were single and living in NYC.  
 
We chose Gabriel Kreuther, which specializes in fine dining from the Alsace region in France.  I felt right at home, as it's next to the old HBO building, where I worked for many years, and across from Bryant Park. I walked around the park before meeting F.
 
The food was wonderful, and even though we knew it would be expensive,  our jaws hit the floor when the bill came. Let's just say that first digit in the total per person started with 3.  It was the second most expensive restaurant I've ever eaten in.  The other, Eleven Madison Park, was an extraordinary dining experience, and worth it, but this was not at that level, IMHO. 
PS - my jaw is still there. I was unable to scrape it off the floor.

Bryant Park Ice Skating RInk, New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Bryant Park skating rink, with the Empire State Building lit up in blue.


 
3. UPTOWN: December 2
 
I started out in the East 80's for a doctor's appointment, and then walked down Third Ave. to meet E and M for sushi at Ajisai on Lexington Ave and 62nd Street.  
 
E and I started working together at HBO in 1981, when I was a manager, and he was my secretary (yes, they called it secretary back then). Three decades later, when I left HBO, E still reported to me....... I was a Senior VP, and he was a VP.  We both came a long way! 
 
E was one of my best friends at work, and his husband, M, became a great pal over the years. As much as I love travel, my experiences don't hold a candle to E & M's, who have traveled most everywhere in the world. We spent a good deal of our lunch  talking about their recent 10-week trip to Europe. Was I green with envy? Let's just say I matched the wasabi on my sushi platter. 

New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Eli's gourmet market gets my vote for best storefront decor in any season.

New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Happy dogs!

New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Window shopping.

New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Central Presbyterian Church on Park Avenue and 63rd Street.

New York City | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Looking south down Park Avenue.


 Funny, when I was a kid, 
I always said that three was my lucky number. 
I can't remember why.......
but maybe I was on to something even then. 




 
10 Must-See Holiday Sights In Midtown NYC | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
10 Must-See Holiday Sights In Midtown NYC

 
A Holly Jolly Tour Of NYC, & The Rockettes | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
A Holly Jolly Tour of NYC, The Rockettes & Shopping

 LINKING WITH:
 

25 comments:

  1. Three might be your lucky number, but not so much at Gabriel’s it seems. That’s a hefty price tag and I have found that expensive doesn’t always equal satisfaction, as you have also. But time with old friends is time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's hilarious that a hip neighborhood is named the Meatpacking district.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you could meet up and have fun with friends. Those lunches are the best. You really know your way around the city. How fabulous. NY is on my bucket list. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your forays into New York, softening the image most of us have of a place of urban madness. As visitors, we don't experience the sense of neighbourhood that you describe, and I suspect that many don't get beyond Manhattan and the tourist highlights. As someone else has pointed out above it made me chuckle to think of a trendy neighbourhood called the Meatpacking District! Too bad that your stratospherically priced meal didn't quite meet expectations, but that's life sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hate when an expensive restaurant doesn't live up to the experience! Other than that it sounds like it has been a very luck "3" for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your photos of New York!

    Such a fabulous feast for the eyes!

    Happy Saturday, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the happiest holiday post I've seen -- because it's all about friendship and seeing long-missed friends, being out in a city you love, feeling OK about it. (I don't feel very OK about Michigan these days!). The photos are terrific but the best part is the joy I hear in your voice, reconnecting with people you care about. Biggest smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading of your life experiences in NYC and seeing the photos. You put NYC in its best light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting concept for a blog post! And so clever too!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three is my number! I have always been drawn to it for some reason. Great post about three's! Can't say I have been to the Meatpacking district but I am writing down the names of the restaurants you went to, except maybe the one you left your jaw at :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful place. Such great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The memories you made with your friends and visiting all of these neighborhoods will last a lifetime, Amy, as well as your pictures. I don't think I've seen this much of Chicago! Again, you always reinforce my longing to visit New York. I can, however, commiserate with you on expensive restaurants. We save them for birthdays and anniversaries. I also have the annoying habit of Checking out restaurants on Google, including the menu and reviews. It truly helps.

    So glad that you had the opportunities to see your friends. And I'm sure for them--being out of town, was a true adventure!!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I loved this tale! I miss getting together with friends for lunch, something we just don't do here in our village. I did laugh at the first diget story as if something here started with a 3 it would be in the 30 euro range which would have our jaws dropping as well at the 'high' price!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love your photos of NYC...how fun to go a few places new--or at least revisited. And, friends are the best---after not seeing people, I ache to touch base with everyone now! Have Happy Holidays, Ms.Toody and hope you have even more photos of just about anywhere!!!Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/12/the-blacksmiths-shop.html so we could accompany you on your grand tour! You got some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always fun going out to lunch or dinner with friends in the city. I'm glad you met up with your friends at some nice restaurants. I enjoyed looking at the photos of the three areas of the city you visited! I hope you have a nice week Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you had three fantastic friend filled outings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for joining this week's party at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/12/memories-of-snows-gone-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like you had a very busy, but very special week with some great friends in an amazing city. Lucky lady!! And so funny, my brother in law's family used to own a huge poultry distributor in NYC and when I was little I used to visit the shop on Gansevoort Street. That was LONG before it became a trendy area. There was literally nothing there, but huge freezers, trucks, docks, lot of guys and lots of meat! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am suddenly feeling very hungry. All three of these restaurants sound wonderful. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Festive city photos. Happy Holidays and safe New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You take us on such beautiful adventures! How awful to get such a high bill, my goodness! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful time with us, and it is certainly is a beautiful town. You shared the beauty of New York City in a lovely way :) Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these kinds of photo essays - feels like we are being guided around town.

    Hope all is well.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so much enjoyed every single picture that you shared.

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.