Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tomato, Basil & Kale Frittata

Tomato, Basil and Kale Frittata --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Are you a fan of kale?

I've been on a bit of a kale kick lately, ever since my sister came over and made us a batch of kale chips. They were SO good, I couldn't stop eating them. 

For once, I didn't feel guilty, because kale is a "super food."  

I pinky swear to you that the word that popped into my mind was...

SuperKALEifragilisticexpialidocious.

I know, I scare myself sometimes.   

Kale is said to have amazing nutritional powers. Eating it regularly may protect us from cancer and lower our cholesterol.  

When I heard that it might lower cholesterol, I figured that if I ate a ton of kale with my cheese, they would cancel each other out, and my cholesterol would remain stable. Makes sense, right?

No? Well, until someone can prove otherwise, I'm going with that.

Tomato, Basil and Kale Frittata --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


Junior Goo Shoes wanted to know what kale was. I told him it was a leafy green vegetable, like spinach. He had this baffled look on his face, and said...

"I thought it was some kind of duck." 

Then it was my turn to look perplexed... until I realized what he meant. 

Quail. 

He was confusing kale with quail.

Now that would be a very different kind of chip. 

He's been saying funny stuff like that since he was a tot. 

Like when he thought that cream cheese was called "green cheese." 

Tomato, Basil and Kale Frittata --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Anyway, it turned out that he really liked the quail chips...sorry, I mean kale chips. (I got such a kick out of the mix-up that I started calling kale "quail," just for laughs, and now I can't say it the right way unless I really concentrate).  

I felt like I hit vegetable pay dirt, and was determined to try to incorporate it into other dishes.

So when a friend came over for brunch today, I decided to make a kale frittata.  

Tomato, Basil and Kale Frittata --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I found a recipe online, from Hummusapien, which by the way, is a great blog, full of healthy recipes. It was called a quiche, but to me, it is more like a frittata.

I liked this recipe because it seemed healthier than others...it used 4 egg whites in addition to 3 whole eggs, and it called for milk (I used low fat) instead of cream. And, there was no crust, shaving off a few calories, which I then deposited in my dessert account. I made a chocolate zucchini cake -- recipe to come next week :)

I modified the frittata just a bit: I sauteed the onion, garlic and kale, and added some crumbled turkey bacon (nitrite and nitrate-free).

It was easy-peasy to make. You know me, I'd rather do anything but cook, but this was more like baking. 

I planned to serve the frittata with a simple salad and croissants, but I was a little nervous about how it would come out. Just to be safe, I had some bagels and lox on the side, in case I had to dump the frittata in the garbage. 

The truth of the matter is that Jewish people simply do not know how to serve brunch without bagels and lox. 

Tomato, Basil and Kale Frittata --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

When I took the frittata out of the oven, it was gaw-geous! So far, so good!

Tomato, Basil and Kale Frittata --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I held my breath until everyone took a bite...we loved it! Whew.

I'd like to say that no one needed to eat the bagels and lox, but uh-uh...

We ate it all.  


Tomato, Basil and Kale Frittata --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Tomato, Basil & Kale Frittata
(adapted from Hummasapien
 
3 eggs
4 egg whites
1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
1/4 -1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used 1/2 cup of 5-cheese Italian mix)
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 cup kale, chopped and packed tight
3 slices turkey bacon (I used Applegate  Naturals Uncured Bacon)
1 medium tomato, chopped 
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9 or 10 inch pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk.
Saute onions and garlic, until onion just starts to get soft. Remove from pan; set aside.
Saute kale until just starting to wilt. Set aside.
Cook bacon until it is well-browned, and crumble.
Add cheese, onion, kale, turkey bacon, tomato, basil, garlic, salt and pepper into egg mixture. Stir to combine. 
Pour into pie plate and bake for about 36 minutes or until middle is set.

Tomato, Basil and Kale Frittata --- Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Enjoy! And feel free to serve without the bagels and lox. You won't need it.  

Unless you're Jewish :)





 
LINKING WITH:
Sunday Showcase
Seasonal Sundays 
Metamorphosis Monday
Recipe Sharing Monday

Tweak It Tuesday 
Tasty Tuesday
Wow Us Wednedsay
Whimsy Wednesday 
Wake Up Wednesday 
Home and Garden Thursday 
Simple and Sweet Friday  
Fabulously Creative Friday
Let's Get Real Blog Hop 
Best of the Weekend 
Weekend Bloggy Reading 
Bouquet of Talent  
The Scoop
Totally Talented Tuesday 
Treasure Box Tuesday 
Best of the Weekend 

43 comments:

  1. I'm the friend who had the pleasure of one of Ms. Toody Goo Shoes delicious brunches. I am here to testify that her 'guail' frittata was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! Quail frittata! Glad you enjoyed, it Phyllis! And of course, we enjoyed having you over!

      Delete
  2. That looks like it was very healthy! I bet it was good. I've heard the same thing about kale. Still haven't tried it yet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little firmer than spinach, and a tiny bit bitter, but it is is really good! I am going to try it next in a smoothie, instead of spinach. The kale chips are addicting! Hope you try it, Kelly!

      Delete
  3. It looks delicious Amy - and to be honest with you, Jewish or not everyone in Montreal has bagels with cream cheese and lox lol - I like to drive New Yorkers nuts by bragging that our bagels are better ( the are - they really really are - lol - they're sweeter ) Ok - what else was I going to say - have to go read the post again #$^&%*@
    Oh Yeah - the first thing I thought of was superkaleafragilistic too LMHO
    Pinning your recipe!
    Hugs from Montreal
    ( home of the better bagel )
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Suzan, we are going to have to have a bagel taste-off! People actually say that NJ bagels are even better than NY -- I wouldn't disagree. So, I may just hop up to Montreal to taste your better bagels! Great minds think alike -- or twisted minds -- not sure which (superkaleafragilistic) but I'm glad you think like I do! Thank you for pinning!

      Delete
    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal-style_bagel - here you go - and you can now get Montreal Style bagels in Brooklyn - ( but I'm not guaranteeing that they're as good as the ones made here LMHO............
      There used to be contests every year between N.Y. and Montreal Bagels - I believe we won most of them
      Nah nah nah !!!

      Delete
  4. Amy! I can't wait to try this...always looking (maybe not making but thinking about it) for healthy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, Corinne! But as good as it is, I doubt it's as good as that food you're enjoying in Singapore right now!

      Delete
  5. When I read your post, I thought I had never eaten "kale"... And then I checked what it was in French, and I was like "of course, I have!", but thanks to you I've learnt a new English word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the French word, Magali? I want to learn a new French word! And besides, it's got to sound more appealing in French!

      Delete
  6. Hi Amy, this is perfect! I was just thinking about making a healthier version of quiche. I like to modify favorite recipes to reduce calories without sacrificing taste. Putting this on my menu this week!

    Mila@ Mila's Milieu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mila! This was packed with taste. Let me know if you make it and enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. Dear Amy, I love your sense of humor and I relate perfectly to its origin!!!
    I think this was a wonderful brunch and the bagels went perfectly and I am sure were appreciated.
    Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! It was a great brunch, but of course, I had way too much food! Oh well, I'd rather have too much than too little!

      Delete
  8. Oh my oh my, good thing we are not neighbors, I would be knocking on your door often for dinner lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love making fritata and usually put spinach in it. I will definitely add kale next time. Everything looks good and thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the kale...I swear it tastes better just because you know how healthy it is for you!

      Delete
  10. This looks really great! I would love it if you shared it at my Tasty Tuesday party!
    http://www.thecomfortsofhome.blogspot.com/2014/03/tasty-tuesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderful. Asparagus is supposed to be a cancer fighter too. I will have to give this recipe a try. I hope you are thawing out up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I knew that about asparagus. I love it -- now I have a reason to love it more! It's slowly getting milder. Still cold, but warmer for the weekend -- 50's -- Wahoo!

      Delete
  12. Amy, your tomato and kale frittata looks and sounds delish and definitely would not have been passed over for bagels and lox by this Greek gal!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poppy -- and you, dear "Greek gal," just gave me a great idea. I think this frittata would be even better with feta cheese. Usually, when I order an omelette, I get it with spinach, tomato and feta. I think I'll make it that way next time. Hope you had/are having a great visit with your family!

      Delete
  13. Oooo - that looks delicious and it must be healthy if it has kale in it!! "even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious" - you are too funny! Can't wait to make this frittata!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, Rosella, you got my joke! Good one! I just mentioned in the comment above that I think this would be great with feta cheese in it, as an alternative to the Italian cheeses.

      Delete
  14. That looks absolutely amazing! And I do like kale. And bagels and lox! Can I come over for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michelle, you are more than welcome for brunch! Just bring some of your slow roasted tomatoes!

      Delete
  15. I have a confession. I have never had one bite of kale. Or quail for that matter. I know kale is amazingly good for you so I need to figure this out. Your frittata looks so good...basil seems to make everything taste better. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never ate kale until this past year. It's a little more bitter than spinach, but don't let that scare you :) If you're going to try it, try it in something (as opposed to a kale salad). In this frittata, you really don't taste the kale flavor. That said, I even enjoy kale salads now!

      Delete
  16. Bon appetit!

    Couldn't help but think Quaile. You know, one pototatoe, two .... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy, I made this over the weekend. It was a hit! Even my 16 months old gobbled hers up (I have pictures to prove it:). I added sliced mushrooms (sauteed first with turkey bacon) because I needed to use them up. Thanks for the recipe! I am adding it to my rotation of quick dinners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad everyone liked it, Mila! Thanks so much for letting me know!

      Delete
  18. This looks quite delicious, Amy - I just bought a bunch of kale! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Kathy! I am honored :) Really appreciate that you host the party every week

      Delete
  19. Hi Amy - I love frittata, but am not a huge fan of kale. But one of my sisters is a fiend for kale! I think we could get together on this recipe! Thanks so much for linking up with the Let's Get Real party this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gaye, the kale taste isn't very strong in this, so maybe you must might like it! Hope you and your sister get together on it!

      Delete
  20. This looks amazing too! It would be awesome if you would share this with us! Please add any other recipes to any fruit/veggie category you'd like! Enjoy the harvest!
    http://www.cultivatenourishing.com/greens-kale-swiss-chard-bok-choy-etc/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the way you think, Amy!! I totally agree that the healthy kale balances out the cheese. ;) It looks delicious with or without the balancing, lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks wonderful ... Definitely my kind of food. And my husband would like an invite to brunch! ;)

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.