Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Corn and Peach Salad...and I'm Frazzled!

Corn and Peach Salad

You know how sometimes, you have everything under control?
Whatever comes your way, you say...
 "I Got This!"  

I don't know exactly what happened, 
but suddenly, I Don't Got Anything.

 I've come undone. 

I think it is the it's-getting-dark-at-7:36pm-holy-crap-school-is-next-week-I-haven't-started-my-summer-projects-yet-please-don't-snow-every-other-day-this-winter blues. 

That, and I was just asked to be the chairperson of the Fundraising Committee at my synogogue. 

 
You know, the one responsible for raising all the money 
so they can pay the staff, buy supplies, and keep the heat on.
Stuff like that. 

Yeah, no sweat.

Corn and Peach Salad

Don't get me wrong...
I am honored to have been asked...
it is a "mitzvah" to help my temple,
and I really want to do this!

But, have I mentioned that I have NO fundraising experience whatsoever?

Actually, I was asked to be the co-chair, 
but they couldn't find anyone else to partner with me,
so now I am not a co-chair, I'm the whole darn sofa. 

And I'm having a little confidence crisis. 

It's days like these that 
I need Aibileen Clark to come over for some tea, 
look me in the eyes, and say,
"You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

I wouldn't mind a hug from her, either. 
That would be just peachy.

Corn and Peach Salad

Speaking of peaches,
(go easy on me on that segue...
remember, my confidence level is on thin ice),
this is a great recipe for late-summer peaches
and end-of-season corn...
and perfect for Labor Day Weekend.
I'm well aware that everyone else has moved on to 
pumpkin recipes, but hear me out.

Junior Goo Shoes asked me yesterday if he could have 50...
FIFTY...
camp friends sleep over on Friday night for his birthday including girls...
so I hope you can understand why I am a little too frazzled 
to be thinking up pumpkin recipes.

Not that we said yes. 
Fifty kids???
So. Not. Happening.

I mean, 50 kids don't look like much out here 
in the wild, wild west... 

Photo courtesy of camp counselor

But can you imagine them all in my basement?
(I'll be right back. I need some valium Advil).

We agreed that he could ask just the boys, 
hoping that because it's Labor Day weekend,
it will keep the response rate to a reasonable number. 

And if they misbehave,
I'm going to serve corn and peach salad,
until it is coming out of their little teenage ears...
and make them each give me a donation to the 
Fundraising Committee.  

Corn and Peach Salad

 OK, where was I?
The recipe...yes.

(which is from Better Homes & Gardens, by the way).

Because I was lazy, 
I used frozen corn kernels and steamed them. 
It would definitely be better with fresh corn.
The original recipe called for radishes, 
but I used tomatoes, since that's what I had on hand.
The next day, 
I decided to toss in some blackberries, 
and not only did it look pretty,
it tasted amazing. 
I highly recommend that you add them,
or some blueberries. 

Corn and Peach Salad : Add some blackberries!
Extra yummy with blackberries!
CORN AND PEACH SALAD
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens 
4 ears fresh sweet corn
1 cup chopped fresh peaches
1 large tomato, diced
1 cup blackberries or 1/2 cup blueberries, optional
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
salt and pepper

1. Cut kernels from cob (about 2 cups). Steam the corn until cooked, but not mushy.
2. In a bowl, combine corn, peaches, radishes, and mint. 
3. For dressing, combine oil and vinegar; add to salad; toss to coat. 
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Top with berries, if using.
Serve immediately. 
Makes 4 cups or 8 to 10 servings.

Make ahead: Assemble salad without mixing. Cover; refrigerate up to 24 hours. Add oil and vinegar. Toss before serving. 


Corn and Peach Salad

Oy, I have a lot on my plate lately,
and it ain't just Corn and Peach Salad.

Excuse me while I go take a few yoga classes 
before all those kids get here.

Ommmmmmmmmm....

42 comments:

  1. That is so funny because I am completely at my wit's end today and I want Aibileen to come over too. Maybe she can co-counsel us both.
    Or maybe I should just make this yummy salad because yoga is so not happening. But yeah, you got this (well, not the 50 kids coming over because that is full on cray cray). Pinned and don't forget to breathe!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you are at your wit's end, too, Claire! I am so far behind on everything...my son has been home a week, and I still haven't finished unpacking his trunks (I did do all the laundry, though). I will try to remember to breathe!!!

      Delete
  2. You're making me really nervous - it's 7.30 here and still light - is it really dark there?
    And I for one don't want to hear a word about Fall decorating yet - everyone's talking about it - but if you live in 4 seasons - and one of them is winter ( like we do ) I think you become paralized with fear that it's coming lol..............
    50 kids - boys and girls LMHO - but maybe it would have been good practice for what your about to take on at the synagogue?
    Good luck - and your dessert ( as always ) looks to die for !
    Suzan ( aka Winter denier too )
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess what I should have said is that the sun sets at 7:36, so it's not dark then, but it is almost dark by about 8pm. You hit the nail on the head - I am DREADING winter this year! Haha, 50 kids at my house? I would never recuperate from that!

      Delete
  3. How would you like another guest and a frisky dog to add to your son's sleepover!! Only kidding! As a good friend I wouldn't do that to you. Would be available to help if you needed some though. My guess is you will have it all under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting to hear how many will be coming - no idea, but I don't think it will be too many because of the holiday weekend. Thanks for the offer of helping out! You might never be the same after that, LOL!

      Delete
  4. I looked outside and it is ALMOST dark at 8 p.m. :( Funny post! I don't envy the fundraising position ( I am clueless there) OR the almost 50 kids in your basement! I am sure you will have a blast with it all though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, AnnMarie. I should have said the sun sets at 7:35, and it is almost dark by 8pm. I think there won't be a lot of kids after all, because of the holiday weekend. That doesn't mean he won't ask again another time!

      Delete
  5. Corn & Peach, what a combo:) I had never eaten them together ever. The salad looks very pretty:) You cracked me up when you mentioned that you had become the SOFA, because I had once also ended up becoming the SOFA the same way you did...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So tasty together! I love the fruit with the tangy dressing. I hope that when you were a sofa, it all worked out! I'm nervous!

      Delete
  6. I will never again be able to hear the word co-chair without thinking of a sofa. Hysterical, and yes, you got this. I have a feeling you will be a fabulous sofa ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Doreen! I am looking forward to it...but I keep thinking, what if I am the only Fundraising "Sofa" to never raise any money??? Appreciate you vote of confidence!

      Delete
  7. Amy - this is such a delightful post - I'm giggling over here!!! I'm sure you will do very well as the sofa of that committee! As far as the 50 teenagers coming for an overnight - eek!!! Yoga "might" help - Namaste is all I can say. That salad looks wonderful by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious, thank you for the recipe Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have time for yoga with all this going on!!??
    The salad looks yummy. Can you believe that with all that has been going on here I haven't bought any fresh corn and ate, maybe, one peach. It's the summer that never was. I will look back in horror, or wonder. It depends on how the move goes!
    I think that the parents of the birthday guests should all be hit up for a donation to your temple! - start as you mean to go on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just once a week (tomorrow, just in time!). Love your idea of hitting up the parents! Next summer you will make up for this summer, and it will be twice as wonderful!

      Delete
  10. Love your writing! Hope your 'metamorphosis' is going well, and thanx for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy, I have all the confidence in the world that you will rock at fundraising - seriously! I think we all get into a comfy mode and we question whether we want any added responsibility and if we can handle things that we would have never questioned in our younger days. I bet you will find that you enjoy this opportunity much more than you ever thought you would :) And shh... about the W word - lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Eileen! That's exactly what I have been thinking -- I got really comfy doing nothing! Thank you for your vote of confidence!

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of that salad before but I bet it's good. Congrats on being offered a position at the synagogue! I have no doubt that you would do a good job. Good luck with the party for your son. I think a good pair of ear plugs might be in order. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the combo of fruit and veggies. Thanks for your confidence in my position :) My first meeting is tomorrow! Oh yes, ear plugs for sure! Still don't know how many are coming. Probably won't be very many because of the holiday.

      Delete
  13. With such a busy schedule I'm surprised you have time to cook at all. I'm glad you do so that you could share this salad…it is so different and delicious sounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't love cooking, so whatever I do has to be fast and easy! Thank you for the visit!

      Delete
  14. Awesome and congrats! You will do great with your fun outgoing personality..you got this. This recipe looks awesome and so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope I got it, Debbie! First meeting is tomorrow...yikes!

      Delete
  15. Your salad looks great! But I did a double take on the 50 kids. Holy moly. Can you imagine?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I can't which is why it will never happen! I'm still in shock that he even asked! Turns out, probably just a few kids will come because of the holiday weekend. So, I should remain sane. I think.

      Delete
  16. Amy I came back to get the recipe. I think I may make this for a party this weekend. You mention radishes. However not sure how much? I don't see them in the salad so I am assuming they are chopped. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok I went back and retread it. Duh and thank you. I was too distracted with all those kids lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Big parties are scary...I remember one of my kid's 16th and I spent half my time being the police trying to find out who all were smuggling liquor in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good at big parties of teenagers at my house. I'm glad the the big sleepover with the boys turned out to be just a few. Phew.

      Delete
  19. Hi Amy! I'm stopping over from Let's Get Real today. I love your peach and corn salad. It has such pretty colors in it. Fundraising can be scary, but it is also very rewarding to see your hard work pay off for an organization you care about. Good luck with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! I hope you enjoy it, if you make it. Yeah, I'm feeling a bit under pressure about raising the money, but we had a great first meeting, and you are right, it will be a very rewarding experience.

      Delete
  20. Dear Amy, I know "you got this" and that is why you were asked. I bet you will be the best fundraiser is the history of the synogogue. I have no doubt!
    As for the fifty kids girls and boys. in the basement....I think not! Perhaps boys only and that will be a bit much too; though they will have fun.
    I am sure the kids will enjoy the salad.., with a side of pizza of course!
    Blessings dear for a great weekend. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your vote of confidence, Catherine! Luckily, it turned out to be just a few kids for the sleepover -- everyone was away for the holiday weekend! Have a great week!

      Delete
  21. Hi, I just know I commented and pinned this yesterday. But I don't see it! I came back to tell you I'm going to feature this recipe at this weeks #theWeekendSocial. I love the flavors and textures of corn and peach together. Thanks so much. I do hope you receive this comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature, KC! I am very appreciative!

      Delete
  22. I love this combination. So many great textures and flavors! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Fridays. Hope to see you next week too!
    Blessings,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds amazing, Amy! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.